cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Tool Import of Speeds and Feeds

jeuclide
4-Participant

Tool Import of Speeds and Feeds

Is there a way to have the speeds and feeds that are put into a tool you create in a library automatically be put into the "Parameter" of the sequence you want to use based on the tool info? Seems like the tool has the info relative to it but when selecting the tool I want to use the data for the parameter has to be in the saved "Parameters". Sorry if confusing. Trying to create a tool library for a new machine we are getting, any tips out there for dealing with tool libraries??? Also high speed machining parameters???

Jeff

33 REPLIES 33
jremb
14-Alexandrite
(To:mnelson)

Matt,

I like your thought process and am always glad to hear of people taking as much advantage as possible of what the software can do! Your approach is certainly easier than the old "machinability database file" approach. (Does anyone rememebr that?)

There is also the capability to add user-defined parameters to cutting tools, using the config option mfg_custom_tool_param_file. Maybe you use this now. If not, search for it in the Help files. With your experience you might be able to think up some cool new uses for that capability. If so, please share them!

-Jeff.

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

I would use site files to add speed and feeds if you tie the material to them so you could set different sfm for the formulas. Doing that in a site file is fine if you only have a couple of materials to cut but I have about 20 different materials that I cut. From aluminum to Rc 62 hardened tool steel so I would need site files for each to adjust speeds and feeds. Then you have high speed/feed milling you would need them for that also.

Which is why I prefer to save template files for processes that are specific to materials and tools.

Jeff,

Here is A screen shot of the equations I was talking about. Also as I said before you can create as many site files as needed A suggestion would be to just create folders for different materials copy and paste your site files into them and change the cutting parameters in the equations per the different materials. I think I can set up A option to put in sfm if prefered but it will take me some time to do this but for now I think this would be helpful for you.

parameters.PNGparameters_2.JPG

jeuclide
4-Participant

Thanks for all the info guys!!! We are getting our new machine this week and will be formulating the process slowly as we go. Haven't got on here in awhile busy with work.....

Jeff

Top Tags