cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Tool library for Pro-Man

Lohbauer
1-Newbie

Tool library for Pro-Man

We are trying to capture and consolidate our cutting tool inventory. Currently when we create a program we maually enter all the cutting tool parameters.I'm looking to create a library that will have our internal number, with Mfr data and other critical data. I'm obviously not a regularPro-man user. So anyone out there who has been through this , your kind input would be appreciated.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

AFAIK, in WF4 at least, you can make 'site' files that describe the
machining parameters (surface footage, and chip load) for the material
being cut, then pro-man will adjust the tool speed and feed rates based
on the tool diameter, number of flutes, etc.... up to the max limits of
the machine tool. At least that's how it was shown to me.

I haven't found any general classes on using these 'site files' , and
the pro-man help is long on theory and short on examples. When working
with them personally it is easy to screw them up when adding new
materials...

Christopher Gosnell

TRIGON INC.
FPD Company
124 Hidden Valley Road
McMurray, PA 15317
PH: 724.941.5540
FX: 724.941.8322
www.fpdinc.com

We have it setup as follows:

Setup a tooling directory: Tooling

Firstly, I am using Pro-E WF 4 M060 with several Pro-Man options available including Expert Machinist on Windows XP Pro

To keep on this topic, I have been trying to setup the 'Machinability Database' as per the Pro-E NC help topics for WF 4, page 689.

I have the pro_mdb_dir setup properly, I can open the file for editing, but Pro-E doesn't seem to use the file in any other way to set up the 'speeds and feeds' for the cutting tools (in this case milling).
I have the directories setup correctly enough, that the tool .XML files are created and respond to changes in number of teeth, diameter, and feed rate vs chip loading when I first input the speed and feed manually at the tool definition screens.

I have the workpiece material defined, and the options for material, and 'roughing' or 'finishing' come up correctly along with material choices in the dialog pulldown boxes, but I never get a 'MDB lookup failure' during parameter retrieval as defined on page 692 of the help topics.

I also don't see the option to lookup an MDB file when creating a sequence, as defined on page 693 of the help topics.

Should I leave this alone for now and wait for WF5?

Christopher Gosnell

TRIGON INC.
FPD Company
124 Hidden Valley Road
McMurray, PA 15317
www.fpdinc.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the run-on post. It seems that the forum ignores whitespace
when composing a message on-line.

(I'll have to learn HTML coding some day)

Christopher Gosnell

TRIGON INC.
FPD Company
124 Hidden Valley Road
McMurray, PA 15317
www.fpdinc.com
Top Tags