cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Trim and Extend Entities (Manually) in a Sketch

DaSpark
5-Regular Member

Trim and Extend Entities (Manually) in a Sketch

I'm using Creo 4.0.  I have a line in a Sketch that I am dragging back (selecting the line and Ctrl select the endpoint) to an endpoint of another line, hoping that it will automatically create a coincident constraint and close my sketch (At least that's what happened on the YouTube tutorial I was watching).  I'm having no luck with this.  I'm aware that I could use the CORNER command, but I would just like to know why this isn't working for me?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DaSpark
5-Regular Member
(To:DaSpark)

Finally got it!  I hold down SHIFT select my endpoint and drag the line until I get the COINCIDENT CONSTRAINT icon to show up (sometimes it shows up easier then other times) and then release SHIFT.  This seems to be the most consistent way for me to get it to work.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
StephenW
23-Emerald II

When you are initially sketching, snap and auto constraining works as state.

When you drag after creating a sketch, hold the shift key and it will auto-constrain/snap.

I am on Creo 4 also.

I typically don't do that. I just sketch approximate shapes and then add dimensions and constraints that I need. Auto-constraints tend to add "unexpected" and sometimes difficult to remove constraints (delete works but sometimes the constraints that are causing problems aren't the once you expect)

StephenW
23-Emerald II

and you don't have to select the line and ctrl select the endpoint.
Just move the cursor over the endpoint click (hold) and drag
DaSpark
5-Regular Member
(To:StephenW)

Thanks for the response, but I'm still having the same issue. Could there be something in the Configuration file I need to switch?
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Are you sketching in a drawing or sketching in part mode, in the sketcher?

Sketching in the drawing is not the same. It has limited tools and limited functionality. I always discourage anyone I help to NOT use sketch in drawings.

Can you screen shot an example of what you are doing? Maybe I am miss interpreting your problem.

DaSpark
5-Regular Member

Stephen,
I'm trying to grab endpoint 1 (bottom pic) and drag it to the line that ends at the 45.63 dimension to create a closed section. One of my latest attempts I was able to get close and the generate the "Closed Loop" warning you see below. I chose YES and then another dialogue box appeared that prompted me to delete one of two constraints (I chose the right one) and then the section closed for me. I can't believe the how it's supposed to work?

[cid:image001.jpg@01D627D7.F9125B30]

[cid:image002.png@01D627D7.F9125B30]

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Your pictures didn't show up. I have had trouble lately with copy/paste pictures, not sure if that is what happened.

You can try using the insert photos icon above the reply body or the drag/drop or browse below the reply body.

DaSpark
5-Regular Member

Sapphire II,
I attached a PP with the pics. Also this is a Part Sketch I was attempting. It's an irregular shape, that's not properly constrained.
I was playing around last night in the Sketch and was able to get it to work, but I could not repeat it after I did an UNDO. I was Locking/Unlocking dimensions, trying to change them from Weak to Strong ( I don't understand Weak/Strong yet). Thanks for the attempted help.

DaSpark
5-Regular Member

No the problem is not solved.  I've just verified that its definitely an User Error.  

I tried to attach pics, that show the sketch, and an error message I received one time. 

DaSpark
5-Regular Member

Finally got it!  I hold down SHIFT select my endpoint and drag the line until I get the COINCIDENT CONSTRAINT icon to show up (sometimes it shows up easier then other times) and then release SHIFT.  This seems to be the most consistent way for me to get it to work.  Thanks.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Good to hear you figured out how to make it work. Mark your answer as the solution so the next poor guy trying to figure it out will maybe find the answer quicker.

I pretty much never try to drag around sketches, they never move as expected. I usually just re-sketch the line and delete the old one. If it's an existing model and that sketch has references, I will use the RMB replace so Creo will transfer the reference.

Sketcher is an acquired skill, LOL, you would think it could be easy, PTC makes sure you do it their way. INTENDED FUNCTIONALITY!

Top Tags