cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

UNIT_WEIGHT Parameter automatically populated

ikamster
1-Newbie

UNIT_WEIGHT Parameter automatically populated

I am working on a military project were all parts are required to have certain parameters assigned to them, one being UNIT_WEIGHT. After assigning a density to a part, what do I need to do to have the weight parameter automatically populated?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
17 REPLIES 17

I believe you just need to add a relation UNIT_WEIGHT=MP_MASS(") and have the parameter set up with that name, UNIT_WEIGHT, as a 'real number' for type and driven by the relation. The drawing cell would just have to have the '&UNIT_WEIGHT' entry to populate. Hope that helps. mb

Small correction: on recent versions of Wildfire, at least, I believe
the current 'internal' parameter / function name is PRO_MP_MASS (with no
brackets or quotes required).

If you don't have mass_property_calculate set to automatic, you'll need
to do Edit -> Setup -> Mass Props; Generate Report... before the
relation will be valid.

HTH,

Jonathan

For Wildfire 4, the paramter is still MP_MASS, but this may not always be the best way to get the weight of the part. I used to use this in all of our start parts, but I found that sometimes you needed to regenerate your model once or twice to get the mass calculated properly. After searching around a bit, I found David Haigh's ProE Admin 101 presentation from the 2010 PTC/User conference and started using his suggeted method.

For this, you first assign a material to the part. Next, you create a mass properties feature in the model and move it to the footer (this way it is always the last feature to regenerate. You then add a parameter for your mass in the mass properties feature, assign it a unit, and add a relation (<new parameter="> = mass). You can then call this paramter in a drawing in the following: &<new paramter=">:FID_<mass properties=" feature=" name=">.

The benefit of this method is that no matter what units the model is set to, you will always get the same units out of the feature parameter as what you set the parameter to. So, for example, if you set the feature parameter to be MASS_KG and set the unit to kg, then even if the model was set to calculate weight in pounds, the MASS_KG parameter will always be in kg.

Attached is a copy of the instruction set that was created for the engineers in my department here, in case anyone is interested in a step-by-step process.

-Lawrence

In Reply to Jonathan Hodgson:

Small correction: on recent versions of Wildfire, at least, I believe
the current 'internal' parameter / function name is PRO_MP_MASS (with no
brackets or quotes required).

If you don't have mass_property_calculate set to automatic, you'll need
to do Edit -> Setup -> Mass Props; Generate Report... before the
relation will be valid.

HTH,

Jonathan

That pdf is a good clear explanation on having the model automatically calculate the Mass upon regen, but I hope you have a mapkey to go with it as this is an excellent example of how making long repetitive processes into mapkeys can save a lot of time!

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"

If you look at my ProE Admin 101 talk, you see that for new parts you don't have to have a mapkey. You can put this into the start models.

ProE Admin 101 talk.

David,

That is exactly what I did with our start parts (we upated our start parts and drawing templates when we moved to Windchill recently). This document was for the rare ocassion when someone would open an old part and wanted to revise it into the new format.

-Lawrence

In Reply to David Haigh:

If you look at my ProE Admin 101 talk, you see that for new parts you don't have to have a mapkey. You can put this into the start models.

ProE Admin 101 talk.

http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/do/sd/sid=1144&type=0

There are 71 pages to the powerpoint and a few movie files. Down load all the files and unzip them in the same directory so Powerpoint can find them. You need to view the presentation as a slide show. If you print it out to read, you will have a lot of graphics overlapping the text. There are links in the slide show to various files. There is also good information in the notes for each slide. So you will want to check out the notes view also.

David Haigh
DavidBrand
14-Alexandrite
(To:ikamster)

Hi Lawrence

I've just tried this in CRO1 and do not have access to #11 (see image below), it is greyed out. Not sure if it's CREO or licensing (Foundation License), but thought I'd ask here if anyone knows why?

Thanks for a great tip

Regards

David.
[cid:image001.png@01CD2F79.672CCCF0]

David,

Unfortunately I do not have access to a Creo 1 install at the moment, but I do have Creo 2.0 F001.

One thing you might want to check is that on the previous page, at step 7, you change the drop down from Quick to Feature. If this is not set, you will not be able to select the parameters you want accessible in the feature.

Lawrence Srutkowski
R&D Engineer
OCA Research and Development
[cid:image004.jpg@01CD2F52.145D8770]
Lawrence.Srutkowski@aflglobal.com<">mailto:lawrence.srutkowski@aflglobal.com>

It is license related. A Foundation license will have the Datums selections grayed out when creating an Analysis, Mass Properties feature. A Flex3C (I know, that's not the name anymore but I still think of it that way) license allows the user to choose the options.

I don't know if it's something to do with the Advanced Assembly functions contained in the "fuller" license but we've always had to create the footer features using the Flex3C option

These images are from Wildfire 5.0

[cid:image003.jpg@01CD2F53.6AD4E2A0][cid:image005.jpg@01CD2F53.6AD4E2A0]

These are from Creo 2.0 (1.0 looks the same) - ditto there as well

[cid:image010.jpg@01CD2F53.6AD4E2A0]

Mike Brattoli
Moen Incorporated
Global Strategic Development
Engineering Systems Administrator

Interesting, I just tested that here. We have 8 seats, 1 is Enterprise
SE (the old Flex3C), the others are Advanced XE + AAX, so we have AAX on
all seats. I cannot create those datums with our lesser licenses
either, but I can with the Enterprise SE seat.

So if it's not AAX, what is it?

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
TimMcLellan
6-Contributor

I fairly sure it is BMX.

Tim McLellan
Mobius Innovation and Development, Inc.

Yes it is BMX. I went round and round with a friend on why this didn't work for him. PTC finally told him he needed behavioral modeling to do it. I just had him send me his start part, created the feature and sent them back.

If you have one license of BMX then you can create this feature and the people without it can reap the benefits.

David Haigh

Thank you for the link, David. After reading the earlier post, I was going to do a search for your presentation.

Folks - In drawing mode..would anyone have any idea why Pro will not allow
me to add an "insert projected view". I have many sections views I created a
day ago using " insert projected view" , and know resuming back to work
today, this function is not available. I have unaligned many view to fit on
a sheet. Would this be the culprit? W/F 4.0

Best regards

Kelly Gensley

Genz Design & Machine L.L.C

Victor, Iowa 52347

Ph: 319-444-0261

Email: -

"Nothing of Value comes without being earned"-Anonymous-

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE. The information contained in this e-mail, and any
attachment therein, is CONFIDENTIAL and for use only by the addressee and
solely for authorized purposes. If you are not the intended recipient,
please return the e-mail to the sender and irreversibly delete it from your
computer. Unauthorized copying, distribution or dissemination of this email
or any attachments is prohibited and is the confidential property of the
sender. Sender does not guarantee that the email and attachments are
virus-free, and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of
viruses.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Possibly you also have simplified reps and your active simplified rep is not the one that the view you have selected is using...that at least is the normal reason I get that message.

Steve

Yes, I do have simplified reps, however, I should still be able to use the
original (1st) view to add further views..any ideas

_____

Not, if like Steve said, the simplified rep for that view isn't the active simplified rep.

David Haigh
Top Tags