cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Uh-oh: "Cannot retrieve model" error

tstanley
1-Newbie

Uh-oh: "Cannot retrieve model" error

Boo! I can't open certain .prt files on my new computer. I suspect the change from Windows 8.1 back to Windows 7 is the cause. Does anyone know a work around or a way to convert .prt files, made while operating in Windows 8.1, compatible with my new Windows 7 workstation?  I can retrieve all my pre-W8 files.  Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tstanley
1-Newbie
(To:gkoch)

Hi Gunter,

According to my IT guy, windows7 didn't automatically add a domain administrator account, so the permissions associated with the creo files were a mess. After that Creo would only occasionally retrieve the files, so the same issue likely corrupted the installation.  Bottom line is we did a clean install and now things are running great.

How do I close my original post?

Thank you, Ted

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Ted,

files created with specific Creo release are platform independent. Can you publish the error message displayed during opening ? Can you upload some problematic part ?

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the help.  Turned out to be a corrupted install and the files work fine on W7.

Cheers, Ted

can not be retrived

If you're seeing the message in the message log, scroll up to see if there is more detail.  Frequently the error message is longer than the visible lines and the important info gets hidden..

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Hi Doug,

Appreciate the help!

Thank you, Ted

gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:tstanley)

Hello Ted,

did the hints from Martin and Doug help you?

Did you get additional information on the error - or even better a solution - you want to share?

Thanks,

Gunter

tstanley
1-Newbie
(To:gkoch)

Hi Gunter,

According to my IT guy, windows7 didn't automatically add a domain administrator account, so the permissions associated with the creo files were a mess. After that Creo would only occasionally retrieve the files, so the same issue likely corrupted the installation.  Bottom line is we did a clean install and now things are running great.

How do I close my original post?

Thank you, Ted

gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:tstanley)

Clicking onto Correct Answer marks a post as such and the whole thread as answered.

I did it with your post since it doubtlessly contains the answer.

Thanks for following up!

Gunter

Hello everyone.

i have a problem about opening issue. and i think it related with this post.

i have creo 2.0 student edition. when i try to open part or asm i am responed that : "asm0001 cannot be retrieved." (asm0001 is name of flie.)

i read a lot of forms or post. there are similar solution on it. bu i didn't solve this problem.

i'll follow this link.

thanks

Sometimes the really interesting error messgaes scroll up one or two lines. Maybe expanding the message line(s) a little does provide more information.

.asm can not be retrived

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:IMRAN555)

Are you're .prt and .asm model in the same folder? Creo assembly and part files contain no folder or location information. Or do you have search paths in your config.pro?

In the future, I would suggest making a new post instead of replying to a 2 year old "solved" post.

I am facing the same problem know wat is the solution ?

The first step is to use the "search all content" box to see if the error message is mentioned in existing solved posts.

The second step is to make a list of all the answers you found and why you think they didn't work when you tried them.

The third step is to create a new message instead of adding to a solved message.

Top Tags