cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Unable to see files in folder in order to open

Rusty007
7-Bedrock

Unable to see files in folder in order to open

Hi

I have saved a .obj and .stl file in a folder, but in Parametric, when I go to Open (or Model > Get Data > Import), I cannot see these files.

Is there any obvious reason why this may be the case?  I have tried selecting both different types in the File Type drop-down, but still cannot see.

Any ideas why this may be the case?

Thanks..

9 REPLIES 9

What is the Type filter set to?  Did you try All Files (*)?

file_open.jpg

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:Rusty007)

I know with STL (not sure about others), take any spaces or weird characters out of the file name.

Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I
(To:Inoram)

Try changing the name of file, something small, might be more number of characters in file name causing this.  

Fender
13-Aquamarine
(To:Rusty007)

Good afternoon Rusty007!
Everything is working. What version of the program are you using?

Which module you are used - Creo Direct or Creo Parametric ?

Sicerely, Evgrafov Aleksandr.

obj-import-01.png

obj-import-02.png

Schools_license.png

Rusty007
7-Bedrock
(To:Fender)

Hi... ok, have solved. I had a dot in the filename to represent version number (I.e. v11.03) and looks like Parametric was reading file type from there. Have stripped out the dots and can load fine now.

Next challenge is how to save/export to stp file. Every part seem to generate a 4kb stp file - clearly not right. When I try .prt, I get >1mb random size files which is what I expect.

Is there some trick or steps to export to a stp file?

Thanks vm..
Rusty007
7-Bedrock
(To:Fender)

Hi all... so I worked out that the filename had a dot in it for the version number and hence Parametric was reading the file format from there. Stripped away that dot and can open now.

Next challenge is exporting to stp. When I try exporting ("Save as"), I either get a tiny 4kb file for every different part or I get a huge one >35mb. I need help on what settings I should be selecting. Remember all I want to do is send parts to a die cast manufacturer for them to quote on producing the parts.

In the attached...
- Area 1 lists my tree. Which level/element do I select before starting to export? Top node .prt?
- Checkbox 2: do I check this Customise Export?... and then what?
- When I press the #3 Options button, I get long Export Settings dialouge box. Which boxes do I need to check in the 'Include' section?
- And do I need to worry about any on the other part of the settings box #5?

Like I said, not worried about any supplementary data, but need the step file to include everything a manufacturer would expect.

Must admit I do find Direct Express more intuitive to use. Hopefully I'll get used to this Pro version in time.

Thanks all!

Oops... the pic failed to load in the previous post. Attached now..

suppose if the file name is FULL BIKE FRAME.stl

rename it as FULL_BIKE_FRAME.stl

that will do the miracle

Fender
13-Aquamarine
(To:DreaD)

Thanks for the useful information.
Top Tags