cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Unmodified common names are not used in a Save a Copy

StevenDumon
11-Garnet

Unmodified common names are not used in a Save a Copy

The common name of a model that is copied is displayed in de Save A Copy window, but is not actually assigned to the copied part unless that common name is modified. After the copy, only the modified common name is used. The copied part where the common name may remain the same, has no common name.

PTC states that this designs as specified, but I don't really understand why anyone would specify that common names must disappear after clicking 'OK'...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

When PTC says "as specified" what they mean is, 'It's not the result of a decision or particular planning, that's just the way the software is written."

If they say it's as specified, ask for the specification document showing that's what is intended. Several years ago, I had the oportunity to sit at a lunch tablewith the head of tech support. He told me just that, if the phrase "intended functionality" is given, there ought to be documentation to bakc it up and we should ask for it.

Many times it seems the tech support rep will say "intended functionality" when he really means "Yep, that's what it's doing". Not the same thing.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

A final test revealed that a common name disappears when it's not modified and remains when modified, but a workaround for us however is to modify a common name that actually may be kept the same and than simply restore the original value. For example, we rename the part "Short Pipe" to " Short Pipe (temp)" and then back to " Short Pipe". We notice that Pro/E WF5 or Creo will keep the common names as expected.

Hi Steven,

this behavior changed for sure in Creo 2.0 M020 and probably in Wildfire 5.0 M070 but was reverted in Creo 2.0 M060 and Wildfire 5.0 M140.

It was considerated a bug...

I created this idea to sponsor a new and more logical behavior.

You can vote it, to give it more visibility.

Top Tags