cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Updating UDF in a part

ptc-2685741
1-Newbie

Updating UDF in a part

I've inserted a single UDF in ~20 parts. After making changes to the UDF is there an easy way to have the changes propogate to the parent parts without having to physically open each part and reinsert the UDF? If that's not possible, is it possible to open each part and update the UDF without physically reinserting the UDF? Thanks for any help you can provide.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

The UDF needs to be subordinate, If it was created as a stand alone you need to change it to subordinate. There is some tweeking but you can get everything to update at once.

If you make a UDF subordinate, and dependent, and then make a dim revision to the original part, you can update the part that is using the UDF by edit>group operations>update all, then regenerate. you'll have to do the "update all, regenerate" for each part using the UDF.

Thanks a lot for the help. This appears to be working exactly how I want. A related question for you: If I initially created a UDF as standalone, how do I convert this UDF to subordinate without recreating it?

I don't have a clue, a check box to go from one to the other would be nice.

I just ended up recreating it. I've successfully updated a udf and propogated those changes to the upper assembly. However, if I add new holes to the udf I have not been able to get those changes to show up in the upper assembly without reinserting the UDF. Any ideas?

I think there is a limit to how much you can modify a UDF, simple dimensional changes to a UDF will propagate to the UDF within the parts , creating new features within a UDF after it's created may not translate, even though it's subordinate and dependent.

Richard, you're right. I looked in the help files and found the following: "When a UDF is created as subordinate and placed as a dependent group, it is indirectly driven by the original model of the UDF. When you retrieve the part with a dependent group, the changes from the original model are reflected in the group. Note: Dependent groups update dimension values only if the features included in the UDF have not changed since the UDF was placed. If features are added to, or removed from a UDF, updating the UDF in a model does not add or remove the features." Thanks a lot for your help.
Top Tags