cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Uses for fasteners without preload...

pdkoren
1-Newbie

Uses for fasteners without preload...

Just a bit of a theoretical discussion here. Wondering where and why would you ever use a fastener without defining a preload? PTC has made this an "option" that you have to toggle on and off to be able to set a load, but I can't think of any case where I would be using a fastener and NOT want a clampling load. Following the old adage of never say never, there must be some instance where this would make sense. Still seems like if I don't care about a preload (re: clamping force) between two components why even run both? Why not just eliminate one and run the other by itself. Or let the parts default to "bond". Maybeputting in"fake"thin washer/spacers or raised areas to avoid bonding large contact surfaces. Hmmmm....

Cheers...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:pdkoren)

I am pretty sure adding preload adds contact regions which significantly increases processing time. Most analysts here do a close form solution for fastener margins.

Christopher Rees - Mechanical Engineer - ISR Systems
UTC AEROSPACE SYSTEMS
100 Wooster Heights Rd, Danbury, CT 06810 U.S.A.
Top Tags