cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Using Cut Out feature

ptc-267878
1-Newbie

Using Cut Out feature

wf4

Please refer to attached figure.

I want part in Figure 1 to fit into Part in Figure 2, so I used a Cut Out feature (edit -> Component Operations -> Cut Out). But in figure 3, as you can see, there are things I don't want (green and orange arrows). Is there a way to have it not select specific features from part in Figure 2 (e.g. green rounds and orange thruhole) to 'cut out' from? Part in Figure 4 is kind of what I'd like the final part to look like. Or maybe there is something other than Cut Out that I can use?

In addition, what's the best way to create a thruhole (orange) if Cut Out feature is used?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

MG says, "I stay away from component operations. They’re unstable. The more traditional method is copy geometry. You don’t have AAX (advanced assembly extension), do you?

If not, you copy the surfs in part 1. Then in the assembly, activate part 2, select the quilt you just created in part 1, and copy. This gives you more control over what you’re copying."

In Reply to D L:

wf4

Please refer to attached figure.

I want part in Figure 1 to fit into Part in Figure 2, so I used a Cut Out feature (edit -> Component Operations -> Cut Out). But in figure 3, as you can see, there are things I don't want (green and orange arrows). Is there a way to have it not select specific features from part in Figure 2 (e.g. green rounds and orange thruhole) to 'cut out' from? Part in Figure 4 is kind of what I'd like the final part to look like. Or maybe there is something other than Cut Out that I can use?

In addition, what's the best way to create a thruhole (orange) if Cut Out feature is used?

We use component operations such as Cut Out and Merge daily with no issues. It all depends on the geometry you are cutting away.

Cutout and Merge gives us more control on what can be updated. I experimented with Inheritance Feature but found that you can manipulate the copy after the fact and that causes issues for our purposes.

Many campanies that deal with molds rely on Cut out and Merge to control the casting from the machining operations.

I seriously doubt that you could sent the parts to anyone but PTC due to security. PTC may be able to look at it and help you adjust things to make it work.

good luck

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

Cutout and Merge are 'accuracy dependent' and can cause problems. I
don't know if using absolute accuracy has fixed all of these problems,
but using 'Ext. Copy Geometry' to make die cavities using surfaces has
eliminated all problems for us.

Using 'Ext Copy Geom' surfaces also has advantages for embedding a
machined model's surfaces inside of a casting or forging model for
reference as well. Downside is that you need a license of NC, or TDO,
or Advanced Assembly (AAX) to get this feature.

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company

124 Hidden Valley Road

McMurray, PA 15317

I have had major problems with the SAX module and the cutout and merge commands making Pro/E unresponsive.

Mark Nerby
Fluke Corporation

We use Absolute accuracy on all our models and we don't have any issues with Cutout and Merge operations. We hae been using them for over 13+ years with much success.

It allows us to quickly make changes to the reference model and it updates the main model. It prevents users from making changes independently like you can with Inheritance models. We don't have AAX for our Engineerings but we do have 4 AAC licenses for our CNC department.

Using absolute accuracy has been great for us.

"Too many people walk around like Clark Kent, because they don't realize they can Fly like Superman"

Top Tags