cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Using Programming to make a start part

bwudtke
10-Marble

Using Programming to make a start part

Hi community,

I am wondering if it is possible to program a new start part so that when you try to create one it automatically comes up and asks you to assign a material to the part. This would be great if someone could help me out!

Thank you!!

Brock

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
cribsz
12-Amethyst
(To:bwudtke)

Hi Brock!

I don't think there is an option out of the box for that.

What I like to do is, assigning a material called "no_material" or something like that to the start part.

So I get notified in the drawing header or BOM.

Maybe there is an alternative method by using a mapkey to create a new part:

-> File -> New

-> pause mapkey for name and type

-> resume mapkey and go directly to the material dialog through the model properties.

-> pause mapkey and assign the material

-> resume the mapkey which should close all windows and take you back to your part

if this doesn't help - here is a free "push" for your question

hth

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:bwudtke)

Not an answer to your question, but another way to make it obvious that your material isn't set or is set incorrectly is to make the density in your start part black hole dense. Any part not set will be way too heavy and should throw the assy weight off too.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

You might consider making it a UDF where you can request input for all thing unique for each part created. If you hide the default datums in a UDF, it will give users a good reason to begin there for every new part, including filling in other parameters.

Typically, a routine such as this is driven by the PDM where a new part number assignment requires a barrage of data being filled in. A subset of which is driven to the CAD part if needed.

Top Tags