cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Variable Thread form... Helix

kgriffith
1-Newbie

Variable Thread form... Helix

Hi All....

I need to createcustomthread form..I was trying to use theHelix command.I need to vary the angle of thread form on one side approximately 2 degrees per revolution. (see attachment)I thought it could be done using Sketcher relations or a Datum Graph feature, But haven't come up with a solution or formula yet...anyone have any Ideas orsuggestions? Any help is appreciated... Thanks

Ken

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:kgriffith)

On 04/04/13 13:27, ken griffith wrote:
>
> Hi All....
>
> I need to create custom thread form.. I was trying to use the Helix command. I need to vary the angle of thread form on one side approximately 2 degrees per revolution. (see attachment) I thought it could be done using Sketcher relations or a Datum Graph feature, But haven't come up with a
> solution or formula yet...anyone have any Ideas or suggestions?
>

I would do the following:

1. create a datum curve, by equation, using cylindrical coordinates, that represents the inner profile of the thread
2. create a variable section sweep (to cut the thread profile) using the datum curve as the trajectory
      * may have to create a straight curve down the center for a reference curve
      * define the variable section sweep section using the trajpar parameter to control the angle. Search ptc knowledge base for trajpar and you will get several "how to's"

> Any help is appreciated...  Thanks
>
> Ken
>
>
> ----------

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St