cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Variable section swept blend

ptc-115314
1-Newbie

Variable section swept blend

I'm trying to create a part like the one in the attached image. I created this with multiple protrusions.

I have not been able to create it with just one protrusion.

I'll give anyone an at-a-boy/girl (or maybe just a thank you)if you can show me how to create it with just one protrusion.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

I got it to work but not precisely the way I want.Thanks for all the help.

I think the biggest issue was that I was not using multiple sections as suggested by a bunch of people.

So I split the "Origin" trajectory to match the number of segments in the "Secondary" trajectory which aloud me to use multiple sections. But as you can see in the attachment, it does not follow the "Secondary" trajectory very well.

What am I doing wrong?

If you are trying to control the geometry better I would not try to create this
in a single protrusion, but rather a boundry blend in surfaces and then
solidify. Create all your curves first (top polygon, bottom circle and then
section profiles as need between trhe two). It still might help to break the
circle into similar number of arcs as the polygon too. In the boundry blend
there are controls to set influnces off adjacent curves and surfaces that should
help control what you are trying to create.

Sincerely,
Mark A. Peterson
Sr Design Engineer
Igloo Products Corp

At-a-Boy Mark! And thank you.

It would seem that the best way to do what I want is using boundary blend. This gave me a nice smooth surface that I can work with to create a solid from. You can see the resulting surface in the attachment.

I used four curves for the first direction chain collectors that define the shape from a circle and going up to the octagon. Then I used the four "patterned" curves to get the revolved hourglassshape.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Most of them where very close but I like this method.

Here is the file for those who are interested in how the part was created.

Personally I'd go for revolve then blend, the revolve gives you precise control over your section, with any blend you have to accept the system generated volume between the sections- see attached. Swept blend surfaceis set tangent into the revolve

Internal sketches and planes on the fly, this is a more concise, predictable model,

Sean

Top Tags