cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Viewing System Parameters

CADQueen
5-Regular Member

Viewing System Parameters

Is there any way to see the value of a system parameter, like DATE_CREATED, in the interface? I tried adding a note &DATE_CREATED to the model but that didn't work and when I tried to set a parameter equal to &DATE_CREATED I got a relation error.  Where is this information hiding???

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:CADQueen)

The best you can do it enter &todays_date in a note or table cell.  It will immediately evaluate to the current date and then become "dead text".  (It won't update in the future.)  Unfortunately Creo has never provided an out of the box way to read the current system date or time in any parametric usable fashion.

If you have Windchill then you can extract a "last modified" date and time from it's parameters (via Creo).

Note: See this discussion for how to put &todays_date in a drawing template so it will automatically populate each time a new drawing is created from it:

Re: Parameters in drawing templates

CADQueen
5-Regular Member
(To:TomU)

Thanks for the information Tom. Unfortunately, I'm trying to use the "DATE_CREATED" information to evaluate a condition in order to run ModelCHECK, so I need the date the file was created. I went searching through a .prt file to see if it was readable in the header but it appears that it isn't. I wonder what's the big secret with this information? Why is it so hidden???

TomU
23-Emerald IV

No idea.  Your only real solution at the moment is to either have the users manually enter this information into a parameter when creating the models or build some type of customization that automatically enters it for you (Toolkit, etc.)

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Are you using Windchill for your part storage?

The created and last modified date are stored in Windchill.

You may be able to modify your start part file to grab the current date and store it.

dnordin
15-Moonstone

Rosemary,

You can use the Windchill information as Ben mentioned above, but if you're not using Windchill, you can get the last modified date information from the file history.  Use the TOOLS tab > INVESTIGATE group fly down > FILE HISTORY and write the file to disk.  You can write a small program to extract the date, time, etc. from that file into a parameter (or relation) in your model, or if you display the history information on screen, you can cut and paste the data into a parameter.  If you use the program to set the parameter, you can incorporate it into a "run ModelCHECK mapkey" so the parameter is updated each time before ModelCHECK actually runs.

Regards,

Dan N.

CADQueen
5-Regular Member

Thanks for the information everyone. We're not using Windchill but I'm trying to teach the concepts of setting up conditions to be run based on model information.  For example, if the model was created before January 01, 2002 - run this set of checks because that was the company standard at that time.  This has made me realize that using the date the last time the model was saved might work - since it will be upgrading the model to the version that was in use.  Which leads to my next caveat - that you also can't find the "datecode" that the model was saved in.  Again, this used to be something that ModelCHECK could use for evalutation puposes but I'm not sure its valid since PTC went to the "MXXX" build format for naming versions.

Top Tags