cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

WF4 drawing annotation problem in WF5

TrevorPoulter
1-Newbie

WF4 drawing annotation problem in WF5

Firstly - I am new to this, so hello to all.

We have recently upgraded from WF4 to WF5 and have an issue with drawings created in WF4. Using the new Show Model Annotations dialog you can only see dimensions if you select a view and then some of the dimensions are listed (but not all). In the drawing tree there are some dimensions shown as erased but these do not tie up with the ones listed in the Show Model Annotation dialog.

If an individual feature is selecting either on the drawing or on the model tree the message "No annotations can be shown in the current sheet/view for the selected objects." when there are quite blatantly dimensions that should show.

Has anyone else seen or heard about this issue?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

If you look in the drawing tree under the annotations under each of the respective views, make sure there aren't any dimensions showing in a lighter grey color. In WF5.0 you can erase dimensions and delete dimensions. Erase is like a hide, and delete removes it totally from the drawing. If you see the grey (erased) dimensions, then selecting those in the drawing tree and deleting them should free them up to where you can show them again in a different view.

Does this sound like what you are seeing?

-Greg

Hi Greg

Yes, this is partially what I am seeing and what you suggested does free up some of those missing dimensions.

However I was expecting to be able to show/hide any dimension already on the drawing. Using your suggestion I deleted a dimension from Extrude 1 on the drawing which was already shown on the drawing but not appearing in the Show Model Annotation Dialog. Once deleted it then apears in the Dialog.

While typing this I tried adding a feature to the exisitng part constructed and drawn in WF4 in WF5. Selecting this feature on the model tree shows the dimensions in the dialog correctly. This would therefore suggest some kind of incompatibility between WF4 parts and the drawing module in WF5?

I would be intereseting to know if this is the case - obviously as we construct more models in the new package the issue will reduce, however it will not help with modified existing parts.

Thanks

I am glad that helped to some degree. I have always been able to show all of the dimensions after going through each views' annotations, and deleting the greyed out dimesions. I don't guess you can share your file due to IP, but if you could I would be happy to take a look.

Have you tried selecting on the model name in the model tree and then selecting the show icon? This would be the same as a show all in pervious versions. That should show any dimension that is not already shown.

-Greg

Yes, thanks Greg that has set me off down a path of understanding this new functionality (I have been on a WF5 course, however drawing alsways seems to be the lowest priority over say "Enhanced Realism" and of course you are only using WF5 and not your own data.)

I guess that I need to understand if this is the case and the way that the new dialog works then we have to be prepared for it during this transition phase between WF4 and WF5. I'll give it a few more days to see if anyone else has any input and then close the discussion.

-Trevor

The new functionality has definitely caused some grief. Another issue you may want to be aware of is you may run into issues if you use ordinate dimensioning.

Thanks for the heads-up Kevin, I don't but I know others do so I will able to make them aware of a potential issue.

-Trevor

Can anyone explain why this so-called feature was added?

It adds unnecessary steps and complexity to working with drawings that wasn't there before.

I find it far more difficult to show dimensions, axiis, datums, etc., in Creo. Its a complete pain. The GUI in Creo has frustrated me so badly I'm sticking to WF4 indefinately, and only using Creo when someone here uses it and I have to fix something they did.

This is a mistake of the PTC to have to change the way to display and delete dimensions.

We must ask PTC, to get it back

It is a loss of profitability, loss of speed and use...

http://communities.ptc.com/message/179266#179266

Top Tags