cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

What defines the Sketch Origin?

ElliotFinchMT
5-Regular Member

What defines the Sketch Origin?

Hello All,

I am trying to create a pattern of extrusions around a curve (Sketched line loop). What I understand is that the pattern starts at the lines Origin!?  But I'm not sure how to control this origin.

I've tried starting the sketch at different points but the origin still seems to be pretty random.

Note: I have tried "Use alternate Origin" button in the pattern's options tab, but this creates a whole host of weird problems... Am I just not using this correctly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the 'wonderful world of Creo patterning'. A world of mystery & suspense. Will my pattern work or not work? Oh, it does, but not as i had hoped. Joking aside, I think I am right in saying that the first point clicked when defining the sketch becomes the start point (or origin) of the pattern curve. That generally works for me anyway.

Good luck!

John

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Welcome to the 'wonderful world of Creo patterning'. A world of mystery & suspense. Will my pattern work or not work? Oh, it does, but not as i had hoped. Joking aside, I think I am right in saying that the first point clicked when defining the sketch becomes the start point (or origin) of the pattern curve. That generally works for me anyway.

Good luck!

John

ElliotFinchMT
5-Regular Member
(To:John.Pryal)

Hi John,

Yes! It is a fascinating and strange world... One which usually helps me allot!

Thanks for the suggestion, I thought this should probably be the case (as it makes sense right?) but i'm still not having any luck with it. The little arrow that appears on the sketch still appears at a random point (Random as in; not where I started the sketch when I created it).

my only work-around is to find out where that point is (through starting a sweep or pattern feature and cancelling) and then creating the feature that I want to pattern at that point. (which does come with its own share of complications for certain shapes!)...

Thanks for the help, i'll keep playing and hopefully figure something out; thankfully this is the first time in my 2 years of using Creo that I've had to pattern along a curve, so it's not a regular thing for me!

Best Regards

Elliot F

Are you willing to up-load the part & i will have a look? If not, perhaps try replicate the issue on a dummy part & up-load that?

Best regards

John

ElliotFinchMT
5-Regular Member
(To:John.Pryal)

Hi John,

No need, I think i've just worked out what was wrong whist trying to make a dummy replica part!

I think it was purely down to how I was producing my sketch. The sketch I was using on my original part was created using an offset line (although I did try creating it from scratch also), I think this confused it.

Thanks for your help!

Glad you figured it out. I have found that problem myself in the past. Referencing existing geometry rather than sketching brand new geometry can throw the system, not always but sometimes. This is where the mystery comes in. Its like Creo moves the goal posts. You might successfully create a pattern curve feature one time & take what you have learnt there only to see it fail another time doing something very similar.

Best regards

John 

Top Tags