cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Wildfire 5.0 - Drawing edge display problems

Ellison
1-Newbie

Wildfire 5.0 - Drawing edge display problems

Hi,

Just started using Wildfire and having problems displaying edge display in a drawing - quite the silhouette of the part does not show in drawing mode! I realise this is quite a basic problem but am at a total loss of how to fix this. Any search I've tried on this forum or others finds posts about analysis to find the silhouette etc. I have attached a picture of the problem. The part is a 3D volume yet as you will see the drawing only contains a few random lines!

Pete

System - XP SP3, Intel Core Quad, Q9650 @ 3 GHz, 2.99 GHz, 3,25 GB of Ram

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

Hi Pete,

It looks to me like your model may be a surface model (the pink lines are usually used for surfaces as opposed to solids). If you also have the config option "display_silhouette_edges" set to "no" in your local config, then this would lead to the missing lines you see. If you change this config option to "yes", you should see the missing lines.

This may not be your issue, but look undter Tools >Options to see if you have that config option set.

Hei,

Unfortunately changing the "display_silhouette_edges" doesn't solve the problem. Any other suggestions? To add, I checked and the part is only a surface but I guess this isn't the problem as I have created a drawing of a similar part and the silhouette is shown.

Pete

Pete,

to help us to solve your problem, please upload ProE part and drawing.

Martin

Martin Hanák

Hei,

Attached are the .prt and .drw files. Data is orphan, but I would hope this doesn't cause the problem. The drawing is a standard template and has a couple more views.

NB I use an educational version of ProE. On opening I get the message 'New objects created with this educational version of Pro/ENGINEER will not be
compatible with commercially licensed Pro/ENGINEER software', so perhaps you will not be able to open the file?

Pete

If you select the main view (bottom left), and view it's properties, you'll see that the views have Tangent Display set to "None". If you change this from "None" to "default" or another setting, you'll see more of the silhouette lines. You need to change this for each view in the drawing.

Side note about that config setting, display_silhouette_edges: it will not affect already created views. It only affects newly created views. If that had been your problem, it wouldn't have changed your drawing.

Hei,

Am I doing something wrong? This setting appears to add tangent lines and not the silhouette. For example in the projection to the right of the main view the silhouette is missing in a number of regions. Any other thoughts?

Regarding the changing config settings, does regenerate apply updated settings to drawings?

Pete

Sorry, I confused tangent lines with silhouette lines. When I changed the option, I saw more lines, so I had assumed that was what you wanted.

The silhouette config will not update on regenerate. You need to recreate the drawing view to see the change if the config option was changed. In your case it was not changed. I can now tell by your pdf, where it shows the silhouette edges of the top cap-like geometry, so that isn't your problem. Sorry if I miss led you, I jsut did a quick view of your drawing views and saw something that showed more lines.

I'm not exactly sure why your silhouette lines are not being shown. It almost seems as though hiding the tangent lines are also hiding the silhouettes,but I'm not sure.

Pete,

I am sorry I can't help you. As you mentioned I can't open your files.

Martin

Martin Hanák

Hei,

I have found a work around of sorts. If I create a section about the parallel plane the silhouette is shown. It stays there even if I then remove the section. However, I have had to add a number of datum planes to get around this problem and now they have stopped showing up in the drawing (they stopped showing after 8).

Can anyone tell me if my model is corrupt, or is the limit of datum planes showing in a drawing just one of the many features I am finding Wildfire 5's has?

Pete

Top Tags