cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Will not allow use of path shortcuts

bridgel
3-Visitor

Will not allow use of path shortcuts

Why can you not browse via shortcuts? For instance, I have a folder of directory shortcuts I use frequently. Every other application I have can see these and I use them to select the files I want quickly. But Creo doesn't. I have to manually navigate to the directory I want. It is a huge pain. Is there some way around this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:bridgel)

To your last question: Pro/E has its own favorites system for its file browser. I don't have the help with me, but will look tomorrow as to how to add items.

As to why not: there are two factors to blame (besides just not wanting to spend the money)

The first is that Pro/E was originally developed on UNIX related OSs and UNIX has real symbolic links. Windows has 'short cuts'. The difference is that short cuts require secondary interpretation (as you noted) and symbolic links are at the OS level so every app that can read a file or a directory can use them. Pro/E was born without needing shortcut training wheels. (Added in Win 95) (Also, NTFS does support the MS version of symbolic links, but they are not simple to use, unlike UNIX.)

A further part of this is that many Windows apps use the windows routines for getting filenames, but most Windows apps don't have to gather other files. The apps that do gather other files maintain links to those files using the full pathname (not shortcuts) and have to have tools to re-create those links (e.g. Excel) Again, going back to UNIX, there were no Windows routines to browse for filenames and so PTC wrote their own and haven't needed to change them.

The second one is that PTC has Windchill, which gives some real access control to the WC manager, which won't use OS level shortcuts anyway.

See the Wikipedia article "File_shortcut" for more. Honestly, it's a quagmire designed to cope with the movement of a single user operating system into a multi-user environment without losing all those great Win 3.1 applications, though the article points out its origin in having the application located in one part of the directory structure and allowing the icon for launching the application to be in another location.

Still hanging on? www flexhex com/docs/articles/hard-links.phtml Covers hardlinks, softlinks, and shortcuts. That should do it.

bridgel
3-Visitor
(To:bridgel)

This is still really annoying. It annoys me every time I use Creo. They should fix this. Get with the 19th centruy already!

Top Tags