cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Windchill PTC names & file parameters

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Windchill PTC names & file parameters

Creoites:

I've seen a similar thread to what I am about to ask, but don't think I saw a finite answer.

Is anyone relating the 3 Windchill filenames to parameters in the files? This way it is written only once.

The way I see it, seems like the parameter can't control the PTC name - since this involves renaming in Windchill.

But it would seem do-able to have the PTC names report to the parameters in the files. Only negative there for us - is we use title_1 & title_2.

Bottom line is - anyone implementing something like this?

Thanks,

WayneF

8 REPLIES 8
lhoogeveen
17-Peridot
(To:wfalco)

I've debated about using the Windchill Name (Creo Common Name) parameter to either replace or drive our Creo DESCRIPTION parameter.

Pros:

• Being able to rename your CAD or drawings Title/Description from Windchill
  • Not having to create Windchill Views everywhere for your company's DESCRIPTION parameter

Cons:

• The entire history of the object will get changed during a Windchill Rename for the Windchill Name, Number, and File Name - aka you can change your drawing history especially if you use Windchill PDF publishing. The Windchill DESCRIPTION (if designated from Creo and driven by a relation from Creo Common Name) will likely NOT change during a rename even though autopublished PDFs and Creo will have the new DESCRIPTION since changing Windchill parameters usually requires a check in.
  • Having users convert drawings over time to the new standard. Unless you can use ModelCheck or something similar, you'll likely get some CAD converted when users make changes and some not.
  • Having to train users to use Creo/Windchill Rename commands any time they would want to change the title/description of an object.
  • Having to train users not to use the same part number for Windchill Name, File Name, and Number (we currently have them use the same for all values).

I'm in the camp where these CONs outweigh the Pros. I'd be currious on other people's thought on this though.

Side note: it seems like people use multiple title/description parameters (TITLE_1 and TITLE_2) to be able to show parameter on multiple lines in a drawing title block. Creo Drawing Tables have a 'Wrap Text' text setting that can allow a single parameter to wrap accross multiple lines.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:lhoogeveen)

I'm in the camp where these CONs outweigh the Pros. I'd be currious on other people's thought on this though.

Same here.  We may use Name (Common Name) for a generic description in the future (almost like classification), but our separate DESCRIPTION parameter is way to specific and version dependent to tie directly to the global value of Name.

wfalco
15-Moonstone

Great info! Yeah someone sent me info on the relation thing. I will need time to process it. In the meantime it's good to hear from everyone. Thanks!

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Word wrap may not break a title where you want it. We use Deescription1 and Description2 in our titleblocks so we can control the text strings. These parameters are linked into Windchill so we can search on them, if needed.

wfalco
15-Moonstone
(To:BenLoosli)

Yeah sounds like a good reason. Thanks.

rharris-2
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

How are you doing this?  I would be interested in learning more about this.

Any tidbits would be appreciated.  Thank you.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:rharris-2)

The coding was done by the prior admin, but from my understanding, you just need to mark the parameter as designated in Creo and create a corresponding attribute in Windchill to map the Creo parameter to. The system then does the loading of the Windchill attribute at check-in time.

Top Tags