cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Would Like 1 Base Model Linked to Multiple Variants

bshreve
1-Newbie

Would Like 1 Base Model Linked to Multiple Variants

Is there a method in Creo Direct Modeling V19 to have 1 base model (i.e. bare machined casting) linked somehow to painted models (yellow, blue, green castings)?  We currently have an individual model for each (bare, yellow, blue, green).  For instance, steel machined casting, Model A, is used in final products Model 1 (yellow), Model 2 (blue) and Model 3, (green). This gets maintenance intensive because 1 single change will need completed on 4 models. I hope my question is clear.

Thank you for your time.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

After submitting a support ticket to PTC, it was determined that what I was looking to do is not possible.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:bshreve)

If you are just looking for differences in color between the variants, then all you need to do is to create shares of the base model because each share can be a different color.

If you need to have geometry differences between the models, then you should use the STOCK-FINISH relationship.

Thanks for the response Peter.  I tried a few things as a result of your comments, but didn't get the desired result.

Create Shares

I created three shares from one part model.  From what I can tell the face color is a property that remains linked to the original component.  I changed my '-yellow' model to have yellow faces but the original '-casting' also becomes yellow.  I researched and found selective instances, but that also does not allow separate colors.  Am I overlooking this and by chance changing the color in the wrong properties field?

STOCK-FINISH Relationship

This approach is very interesting to me so I searched Creo help and tried a few things.  I created a '-casting' part, copied '-casting' as a '-yellow' then created a stock-finish relationship for '-yellow' linked to '-casting'.  This seems to work great for what I am looking to do.  The only thing I have noticed is that once I save all models into Model Manager the relationship is lost.  When loaded the finish parts have the partial part icon and are no longer linked to the stock part.

Will this process allow changes made to the stock part to be reflected in the finish part?

I appreciate your help on this.

PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:bshreve)

Shares:

Face color is a property that is linked between the models. You need to change the part color; specifically the "Instance" color (not the "Base") color.

Stock-Finish:

The stock-finish relationship is not lost once the parts have been saved into Model Manager; in fact you will find a "Stock-Finish" tab in the "DB Properties" which shows the relationships. The key is that when you load the finish part, you need to have the option to "Load stock part" checked (click on the "Options" button in the Load dialog).

Thank you.  I will check the 'Instance Color' in my shares and see what I get.

Thanks the 'Load Stock Part' option was not checked.  It now works thank you.

I'll let you know how it goes.  Thanks again.

I changed the Instance 'Part Color' to the paint color.  When doing a clipping the entire part is the paint color when technically it should only be on outside.  The inside should be the original part color.  I may be splitting hairs here.

After submitting a support ticket to PTC, it was determined that what I was looking to do is not possible.

Top Tags