cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

add generic values on drawing family table (to shown instance values)

jkönig
3-Visitor

add generic values on drawing family table (to shown instance values)

Hi togehter,

I have a problem with a table on a drawing that shows values of instances.

We sometimes build up "tubes" (for example), but later recognise that there should be some addition lengths available and add them in a family table.

But the generic is one of the "members", its not a stupid dummy.

I try to get the information of the instances into my table on the drawing, as well as the ones from the generic.

Does anybody know, how to do so? As there are lots of old family tables out there in our system that are build up this way I cannot change them all (and all assemblys) by adding the generic as an instance...

Enclosed my current table, the last line adds the name of the generic but is not linked to the value information of the instances...

any helping hand would be great

br Johannes

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hi Johannes...

Your question was posted in the Cabling area which is probably why it isn't gettintg much attention. I see the problem you're having and it's not easy to fix. It seems you're already aware the proper way to address this is to set a policy that the generic should be a template for the items in the table, not an actual member of the table. This solves the problem. I'd correct the issue as you come across it (and instruct others to do the same). In this way, over time, the problem will be solved.

However, your question was about how to solve the problem using a repeat region. Your table is a standard 2D repeat region with the generic tacked on at the end. The 2D repeat region is unique in that it can self expand based on the parameters contained in the family table.

All repeat regions will expand vertically to fill depending upon the number of components or items the model driving the region. This is well known behavior. Using &fam.inst.param.name (as you have done), the table, the 2D repeat region is special because it can also expand horizontally. Columns are added for each parameter inside your family table. This is not a feature that can be duplicated for the generic.

Your next best bet is to add individual parameter definitions for your generic row to each column. This will fill in the blank spots and pull the proper parameter data directly from the generic. This is a huge pain in the neck though.

The 2D repeat region will automatically populate with any new columns or parameters that are added to your family table. You'll have to manually add those same parameters to the generic row. It seems tto me the easier and more direct solution is to convert the generic into a new instance of the table.

If you're looking for one table file that can automatically fix the problem, I don't know that you're going to find it. That last generic row is going to involve some manual editing to look right. I'm not sure there's another way around it unfortunately.

Best regards,

-Brian

Top Tags