Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding scaled image into Sketcher

Re: adding scaled image into Sketcher

Hmm, on my 20" monitor, i can view the entire PDF drawing, but it needs to be scaled at 25.1%.

Are you not adding pixelation errors to your tracing by working with a single screenshot image of this fine drawing?

Why not zoom in to the PDF at 100% and take several screenshots - and a separate one of the scale bar.

Bring in all images, align them up and trace everything at 100%.  Also trace the 100% screenshot of the scale bar.

Then once you are satisfied with your tracing, do a measurement of the width of this rectangle you traced around scale bar.  Then do Model->Operations->Scale model and use a ratio that will make this width equal to 6"...

Hello Pausob,

PTC/Creo has so much ability but very little instruction on how to use this powerful tool.

The first time around I created a jpeg file from a pdf file using the Snipping Tool.  That makes the image very pixelated. The next time I used a PDF to JPEG converter online and the line work is 1,000 times better.  I can now add the image into my model and size it pretty darn close to the actual size.  Then I go into Sketch mode and do my tracing. 

Importing an image then using the scaling feature or (FIT) and the Aspect Ratio is on then the drawing data is scaled properly.  If the image is inserted 1:1 but the graphics were drawn at a scale then my tracing would not be a 1:1 scale.  I hope I am explaining it correctly.

I could do what you suggest but inserting multiple images seems like the error factor would be high so working with one image and using the Fit tool, horizontal or verticle, and Aspect ratio activated, one image works fine.

Previously with the image so pixelated the error of my tracing was any where from 1" to 1'.  That was just unacceptable to me.  Like my statement above, Creo (Pro Engineer) has so many tools yet no tutorial exists for a lot of the tools and if there are tutorials they may show only one way to do the job but leave out how to use other minor tools leaving you to do the research.

I like Creo but it is so large that you just do not know how to use half of it because your job does not require it.

As far as tracing is concerned, is there any way to stop my lines from being drawn horizontal or vertical?  I go to trace and if the line I need to make is at a slight angle, it wants to use the horizontal constraint or vertical constraint.  It is not easy to trace a line at a slight angle.

-Scott

I only suggested the work around of taking multiple "high resolution" screenshots to avoid the pixelation errors.

If you can extract a single high quality JPEG image from the PDF, then that's the way to do it.

My point about tracing the image at 100% still stands.  You can do all your tracing, then scale the final result after you are done using the scale model function.  Although personally, I'd use the fit tool and use the scale bar as the reference.

Also, to disable the horizontal/vertical auto-constraints use the File->Options -> Sketcher and deselect the constraint assumptions.

I thought there's also a config.pro setting that sets the threshold angle before these horizontal/vertical constraints are assumed, but I can't find it at the moment.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help.  This forum really helps.

I will look into config.pro.  My employer is pretty picky about changing config setting.  They let me use Creo in my off hours for personal stuff so I do not push to many config changes.

again thanks for the help.

There are multiple config.pro files that get loaded when you start Creo.

You could make changes to your personal copy and let the company system wide be what everyone uses.

If you need special settings for your private project, create 2 config.pro files in your home directory and switch between them, either manually or with a bat file.

If changing the Creo config file is not an option or not ideal, there is the right mouse button function.  While sketching the constraints pop up and while a constraint is highlighted you can use the right mouse button to lock or disable the constraint.

rmb.JPG

Creo is an endless adventure: I have learned, created and shared. I will continue learning, creating and sharing,.

kdirth,

When I draw a line in Creo 3.0, I can put the line at any angle except when it gets close to horizontal it snaps to horizontal and the same with vertical.  The image attached shows a step line is okay but the centerline in the image is what I want to trace along.  It is such a small angle it snaps to the constraint.  I can hold the "shift" button and it releases the constraint but as I continue to trace that centerline wants to go horizontal later on.  It would be nice if I could rotate the image by .6° counter-clockwise to make the image's centerline horizontal.  So far I have not been able to find a rotate button under the View/Image/Orientation ribbon.

Highlighted

The only way to rotate the image inside Creo is by the green drag handle and it is pretty difficult to rotate by very small angles.  You'll probably have better luck rotating it in an image editor outside of Creo and the importing the corrected image.

--
Doug Schaefer | Engineering Manager
Crow Works

To accurately place an image rotated at a small angle, create a coordinate system that is rotated at the desired angle.  Next create a plane from the coordinate system.  Now you can place the image on the new plane and it will be rotated at the desired angle.

rotated image.JPG

Creo is an endless adventure: I have learned, created and shared. I will continue learning, creating and sharing,.