cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

bolt joint analysis

tkocot
6-Contributor

bolt joint analysis

I am trying to run a simulation on a bolted joint and I have attached it.  I keep getting errors and any help is appreciated.  The bolts were represented as volumes because I am interested about the stress in the bolts due to pre-loading.  Later on I want to analyze the bolts with a tightening torque load and embedding, but I am not sure how to due the embedding.  I did not model the actual threads but the threaded part is connected with simple springs and weighted links.  I think the model is failing due to something with the weighted links.  I applied a pre-load by creating a volume feature in the bolt.  I dont know if I should apply a thermal load on the bolt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
tkocot
6-Contributor
(To:tkocot)

As a reference I was trying to use the techniques from user Roland Jakel's presentation on bolted connections.

tkocot
6-Contributor
(To:tkocot)

Hey thank you for responding.  Yea I know I can use advanced fastener to get the stresses, but this was more so for learning.  I wanted to be able to do more complicated analysis in the future and this was my attempt at taking something "simple" to try and learn.  I actually referenced the presentation from Roland Jakel that you had posted in this community to get some of my ideas for constraining the fasterners.

Top Tags