cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

can I control "number of pattern members" with a p

jaapkramer
1-Newbie

can I control "number of pattern members" with a p

Hi, I made a gear-like model, that we'll need with various numbers of "teeth". So, I made a "pie slice" of one tooth, and now I want to pattern this in order to create a complete part. I made a pattern, and used the Axis option. I could easily put the formula "360/number_of_teeth" in the angle field. But as soon as I put "number of teeth" in the "number of pattern members" field, Pro/E tells me that I enter a value that is out of Range (Range is 2 to 100000). The current value of number_of_teeth is 18, so it's definitely not out of range... I tried it with number_of_teeth being both a real number and integer, without succes. Is it impossible to put a parameter in there?? And does anyone know an alternative trick?? Thanks! Regards, Jaap
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

It looks like the 'number of pattern members' field in the pattern creation dashboard will not accept a parameter. Which is weird, since the 'angle' field will. However, you can enter in a real number for the number of pattern members, then after the pattern is generated, create a relation to tie the number of pattern members to your parameter.

Jaap, Even when you add the angle using a parameter name it creates a feature relation. To use the number you can set the 'number of pattern members' to a parameter (number). So as an example it could be p#=number . p# is the pattern number name. Rameet

Hi, thanks for the replies! I've been looking everywhere to find the parameter name of "number of pattern members", but I can find all paramaters EXCEPT this one. Here's an excerpt of Tools > Program > Show Design:
95caca03ca
So, now I'm confused about how to create a relation... I also tried to enter "p#=number_of_teeth" in the "number of pattern members" field, but this gives the same error as before. Thanks for any clues! Regards, Jaap

"jaap kramer" wrote:

I've been looking everywhere to find the parameter name of "number of pattern members", but I can find all paramaters EXCEPT this one. So, now I'm confused about how to create a relation... I also tried to enter "p#=number_of_teeth" in the "number of pattern members" field, but this gives the same error as before.

YES!! Thanks, now I could find the name of the parameter, and give it the relation
22a2d1f540
Problem fixed Regards, Jaap
Top Tags