cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

can't show set datums in family table items

ptc-156420
1-Newbie

can't show set datums in family table items

when using family table items on a drawing, ProE has a problem showing a datum that's common in the generic and instances. it seems when I show one on the drawing, then again on another family table item, it disappears from the first item. does anyone know how to show the datum on both items?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:ptc-156420)

Is it pointing to a part / surface that is common among the items of the family?

In other words are the lengths/dimension just changing in the families or the features?

If the features are changing and they are used in your datums, then when you change instances, the datum doesn't have it's reference, so it will not show up on the parts without that feature.

If you are using surfaces are the same, I am not sure why you are getting this error.

... and by the way, welcome to the forum.

Thanks, Dale

Thanks for getting back to me, Dale. The datum was created “through” one of the default datums, i.e. “TOP”. It was renamed to “a” and set in the model, shown on the drawing of the first instance, and attached to a geometric tolerance. The second instance was added to the drawing. The only difference of the second instance is a cut, possibly measured from the datum in question, or possibly from the default. I don’t know anymore, I don’t have the model. When the datum is shown in the second instance, it disappears from the first. It’s almost as though you’re only allowed to use it once.

Since I opened the call, I have divided the family table into separate part models to get my work done. That’s why I’m unable to go back and look at the datum’s references. I’m still interested in resolving this issue. We run into this situation quite a bit. I would like to use the family tables, but this makes it very difficult.

Thanks for your attention, have a great weekend!!!

LTW

Top Tags