cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

center line of a slot

samritkar
1-Newbie

center line of a slot

I am unable to locate center of a slot in drawing. Is there a specific way to make slot in model so that the axis can be located over there? Manually putting datum axes is not possible as we have many slots in model.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes you need an axis point in the center of your sketch when you create your extrude/cut. I made a sketch that sits in our sketch pallete that we can drag and drop in our sketch. It is 1.00 x .25 as a starting point but you can scale it once you put it into your sketch and obviously you can change all the dims once you have it placed, but this gives you a center axis that can be used for placement and dimensioning.

To do this you can put this slot_center_axis.sec file in your sketcher pallete load point and when you use your sketcher pallete in sketch mode, you will see it and be able to use it. I place my file here (although the "Creo 3.0\M030" will be different depending on your version of Creo):

Creo Loadpoint:\Creo 3.0\M030\Common Files\text\sketcher_palette\shapes

Then when you use the sketcher pallete, you find the shape you want to use and LMB click, hold, drag, and drop to the approximate location for placing the shape.

Center Axis Slot.JPG

At that point you can change the import section options or just accept it and change the dimensions manual to suite what you are after.

Center Axis Slot Modification.JPG

Hope this helps,

Shane V.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:samritkar)

The way I model slots is I add an axis point in the sketch so the feature come with an axis.

My crappy work around for dimensioning slots without centerlines is to dimension to the midpoint of the line and the center of the radii then I drag the witness lines to the center.

Yes you need an axis point in the center of your sketch when you create your extrude/cut. I made a sketch that sits in our sketch pallete that we can drag and drop in our sketch. It is 1.00 x .25 as a starting point but you can scale it once you put it into your sketch and obviously you can change all the dims once you have it placed, but this gives you a center axis that can be used for placement and dimensioning.

To do this you can put this slot_center_axis.sec file in your sketcher pallete load point and when you use your sketcher pallete in sketch mode, you will see it and be able to use it. I place my file here (although the "Creo 3.0\M030" will be different depending on your version of Creo):

Creo Loadpoint:\Creo 3.0\M030\Common Files\text\sketcher_palette\shapes

Then when you use the sketcher pallete, you find the shape you want to use and LMB click, hold, drag, and drop to the approximate location for placing the shape.

Center Axis Slot.JPG

At that point you can change the import section options or just accept it and change the dimensions manual to suite what you are after.

Center Axis Slot Modification.JPG

Hope this helps,

Shane V.

Top Tags