Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change model referring in drawings

Highlighted

change model referring in drawings

If i've made a drawing starting from one part model can i later change the part model the drawing is referring to?
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Changing part model

That is very easy to accomplish. Place the mouse cursor on a free space on the drawing and press the right mouse button. Select properties -> Drawings models Best regards, John Bijnens
Highlighted

RE: Changing part model

Assuming that you are not using Intralink or other DM system, try the following: If the original part is called fred.prt and the drawing is fred.drw, the new part is bob.prt which was created using "Save As" from fred.prt and has since been modified to make it different to fred.prt: Erase All from session, or re-start Pro/E Open bob.prt File>Rename>Rename in Session> - change the name to "fred" - you will get a warning: Duplicate File Name Found etc.... Click OK to ignore the warning Open the drawing fred.drw and regenerate - it now shows the new part. Use backup or similar techniques to copy this to a new directory......
Highlighted

Re: change model referring in drawings

I know this is an old discussion...

I was trying to do the same thing in WF5, but that solution doesn't work. I loose all the dimensions when the new or different part is updated in the drawing.

Does anyone have an update solution for that problem?

Thanks !

Highlighted

Re: change model referring in drawings

Hi Pierre...

The solution Andrew Deighton posted was for a specific scenario. In Andrew's solution, you have to have almost a perfect storm of situations.

To briefly restate Andrew's advice - If you have a part called FRED.PRT and have saved it (using Save A Copy) to a new part called BOB.PRT, you can trick the drawing for FRED.DRW to use the BOB.PRT model instead without losing dimensions. This also assumes you're using neither Windchill nor Pro/INTRALINK... OR if you are using them, that you have the config.pro option let_proe_rename_pdm_objects set to "Yes" (normally this is set to "no").

If you are trying to replace the part in your drawing with a completely unrelated object, you're likely going to be stuck recreating your dimensions.

You will be able to swap parts in the following scenarios:

• You're swapping parts that are instances in the same family table
  • You're swapping parts that were made as copies from the original part
  • You're swapping parts that were made from the same inheritance model

Otherwise you're likely to have to recreate most or all of your dimensions. If you can tell me a bit more about your situation, there could be other options. There are so many scenarios, it's hard to detail every technique for handling all of them. If you can help me narrow it down to your specific situation, that would help.

Thanks!

-Brian

Announcements
Message from Brian Thompson (PTC General Manager and DVP) regarding Creo Business Continuity plans.