cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

change preselect

SPB1
1-Newbie

change preselect

How do I stop Creo from selecting multiple faces when I only want to select 1?

It's so annoying. Sometimes I can't use the remove tool because I can't separately select faces that are not even joined and sometimes on opposing sides of a part. Drives me nucking futs. Why Creo, WHY?!

5 REPLIES 5
pausob
18-Opal
(To:SPB1)

That's just how the math works in Creo.  Those separate face are all part of the same surface...

You can try using the Split Surface tool:

split_tool.png

vkotra
4-Participant
(To:pausob)

Thanks Pausob,

Using the split tool that regularly would probably lead me to check myself into an asylum. We had a sales rep out here tell us that we could change that with a setting in the config.pro file. But I believe you're correct, unless there are other users who know different.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:SPB1)

Can you give more detail on what you are trying to do?  This is the Creo Parametric detailing forum, I assume you are in a drawing?  I'm having a hard time figuring out what's happening so I can help.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
vkotra
4-Participant
(To:dgschaefer)

Hi dgschaefer ,

This probably should be moved to the general part modeling section. Not sure how it ended up in here. 

But the problem is with selecting a single face for Remove or other tools. Creo keeps selecting multiple faces. Sometimes that stops me from being able to do what I need to because I can't just select the face I want.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:vkotra)

Ah, I get what's happening now.  I was having a hard time figuring out what was going on. Smiley Very Happy

Creo often will consider a surface that has been split as a single entity.  If it was created by a single sketch entity, it'll be considered a single surface.  If it was once whole and a later feature divided it, it's still considered a single surface.

I wasn't aware of the split surface feature, that's a good technique.  In the remove feature and other similar features, you can also often find the option to "exclude contours" under the options tab.  So you'd select the surface you want to remove, select the remove feature, go to the options tab, click in the "exclude contours" box and pick the boundary of the area or areas that you don't want to remove.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags