cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

control points in boundary blend to reduce no. of patches / HELP

al204
1-Newbie

control points in boundary blend to reduce no. of patches / HELP

Hello Proe users, I need help using datum points as control points for a boundary blend surface. I have created evenly spaced datum points (every 2,5 mm) on every curve along the axis of the bottle.

I have tried using all 3 points per curve as control points, a pair of points for every curve, etc.

I also created datum points on the vertexes of the patches of a first surface, then created a second surface and used those reference points as control points.

In the best case, the effect of these measures has been minor, almost unnoticeable. is there an ideal technique for locating the datum points to be used as control points?? in what other ways can I use datum points as control points to reduce the no. of patches on a surface?

regards, thanks in advance,

al.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

This may not help, but I have modeled medical femur surfaces to help machining smoothness, and I had to do the following:

Make sure that curves for the sections of the bottle are made up one only one spline(nurbs) curve each. (With as many control points as needed)

In the areas of high curvature along the axis of the bottle, you may need to define section curves very closely spaced to capture this curvature.

Theoretically, in ISDX you should be able to create a few sparce driving curves at the inflection or tangent 'corners' of the bottle surface, and then tweak as needed to influence the surface. Basically start with a rectangular 'box' but made of curves to start.

I would also create only ¼ of the bottle, and put 'ribbon' surfaces to control the tangency / normals at the mirror planes.

Also, model the gross features of the bottle, and then 'fillet' the large features to create the 'corners of the bottle' but don't use radius fillets, make sure the 'fillet' blends are 'curvature continuous'.

Christopher Gosnell

TRIGON INC.
FPD Company
124 Hidden Valley Road
McMurray, PA 15317
PH: 724.941.5540
FX: 724.941.8322
www.fpdinc.com
Top Tags