cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

how to create a fillet of this kind in pro/e?

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine

how to create a fillet of this kind in pro/e?

please have a look at the youtube link below. i would like to know how to create this kind of fillet in Pro/E. please go to exactly 3:45 minutes in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgxkZvZ3dWo

8 REPLIES 8

That doesn't look like it's truly a fillet as it doesn't appear to have an arc as a section.

In Proe / Creo, you'd create the same curves, create a boundaty blend assigning tangencies as needed and then use it to cut away material.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

With the presented geometry, I'd suggest a VSS. The origin is the spine and the guide curves are the chains. You can use an arc or a conic. With trajpar or a graph relation , you also have a lot more control.

you can easily get this round if you select a top surface and a botton edge (hold <ctrl> to select multiple entities) then select "Round" from the menu. It should sweep along the trangents. Must select the top surface first or you will get different results. You will have to play with the round after that - maybe make a variable radius to get it shaped exactly like you want.

I guess, you can first "copy" the surface edge using offset feature, and then in the round feature use "Through curve" setting, while selecting this copied edge.

Could any feature be more obscure than the round feature? Most of its power is hidden under the RMB, and the rest is obscured by really poor prompts. Then you go look in the help files, and though there is tons of information, there is no simple "guide" as to how to use the feature.

Rohit, thanks for posting the challenge... John, thanks for pushing the exploration.

I really have had serious problems using intelligent fillets through complex transitions where they often fail. I have also had trouble with fillets sucking CPU cycles making even simple designs extremely CPU intensive wasting a lot of time in every regeneration. I can say for a fact that SW has this feature beat hands down.

For those that want to find quick access to variable rounds...

• Right click on the bottom panel of the SETS tab.
  • Select "add radius" and you get a second radius call-out on the "other end"...
  • do it again and you can manage a radii along the selected "spine" as well.

You can also activate it from the graphics screen but it is not as forthcoming about adding variability beyond the 2 ends.

(Boundary Blend - tangent/normal)

at present it would be a combination of "boundry blend+copy surface+extend+merge+solidify"....i think is the easiest method.

the round tool i think would not be able to achieve this.

There's a way to do a round through curve. I agree with Antonius that the round command is cryptic. I liked in WF where you could choose from either the new style round, or, if you had the right config.pro option, the old style round. Sometimes in complex plastic work, you needed both since on some things only one of them worked.

Top Tags