cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

how to develop this?

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine

how to develop this?

how to flatten this ?

made in creo elements/pro 5.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

And if the facets are not desirable... and you want a true round top, this was the best I could come up with:

sq-cir_shmt_2.PNG

The corners are blends, and the planar features are the flat triangles.

Did you want the Creo 2 part of either of these?

View solution in original post

49 REPLIES 49

has anybody tried this?

i was surprised when i was not able to make this with boundary blend.

We did have this discussion before. It can be done with sheetmetal.

sq-cir_shmt.PNG

And if the facets are not desirable... and you want a true round top, this was the best I could come up with:

sq-cir_shmt_2.PNG

The corners are blends, and the planar features are the flat triangles.

Did you want the Creo 2 part of either of these?

are there any sharp corners?

One of the challenges was to get a sharp point at the top for the true circle. That is the reason for the high feature count. Of course, there is still the bend radius.

Follow up work with the part also showed it very difficult to develop additional features on the edges. It was simply stubborn, like so many things PTC.

The problem with your model appears to be in the boundary blend definitions. If you flatten just one of the triangle, and place a point along a long edge, you will see the end of the sheet is no longer tied to the point at the square. Lack of tangency control can do this.

Using the same curves, I made single blend with control points. Couldn't get a full single feature, but over half defined properly. The extrude is squaring-up trim. A point along the straight edge allowed for a reliable flatten quilt.

sq-cir_shmt_3.PNG

thankyou Antonius. if you could upload the creo 2 files?

See if these work for you. Just unbend prt0380.prt

the half that you have flattened (flatten quilt) ..are the end edges flat?

I am going to assume so. I am working the boundary blend with control points. I cannot get a 4-arc circle to join completely with the 4 straight sides, but I can get 3 to work. So I have to trim the boundary blend. But those are properly developed and tangent faces prior t the trim.

sq-cir_shmt_4.PNG

strange when i use a plane to trim the surface and then flatten the edges are not flat.

but when i cut with extrude and flatten the edges are flat.

sorry sorry..my mistake...

the one with control points and one boundary blend gives straight edges.

the one with multiple boundary blend does not give straight edges.

I suppose you could create the flat triangles with Fill feature.

That way you have something to make the corner boundary blend features tangent to.

I always forget about simply trimming suffaces.

Oh so many cats to skin

And there is a funny artifact in the flattened quilt. If you sketch on that flat surface, the arc-edge should be a perfect circle. It is not, however. Even in sheetmetal, a small "dip" between control points can be detected. I suspect you want to correct this in the flattened quilt state.

The more I work with this geometry, more I see development throwing in random "factors" depending on the core geometry. In this case, I added fills with tangent boundary blends on the corners. When this is flattened, it adds radii at the corners and the round is "tighter".

For this object, no deformation is required, yet it puts it in there... and arbitrarily at that.

sq-cir_shmt_5.PNG

I tried with the new flatten quilt tool..but still it does not flatten the complete surface.

I thought it would be able to handle that.

just enable "new_flatten_quilt" in config.pro

Hah! New Creo 3.0 references are starting to drive me nuts already.

it has trouble with the full surface not matter what you do.

In the previous example, the fact that the geometry is not consistent depending on how it is built is bothersome.

I did figure out why the top edges are not round. It is simply the geometry. But I still haven't found the math that should be driving it. However, it makes a mess of thickened walls just like it does in sheetmetal.

Mirror is working fine with the flatten quilt. You can even drive a flatten-quilt deformation (re-form) with features on the mirrored flatten feature.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

it will basically be a section of sheetmetal assembly to be used to fill spices in pouches.

i would need the development to cut the shape on the sheetmetal.

one more different result i guess..have a look..if you have time.

I see... then yes, the sheetmetal version will probably work best for you.

I cannot seem to modify the 2 flatten quilts in my Creo 2.0 as you have them defined.

Is this a Creo 3.0 file or WF5/Elements Pro? It opens in Creo 2.0.

I have noticed that flatten quilt builds a "plane" from the edge at or near the point used in the flatten quilt. If it is a good straight edge, it does pretty well. In the case of the fill/boundary blends, however, it takes some serious liberties with the tangent merge along the two surfaces.

Have you considered just forming a round tube with a square die

The attached file is working pretty well. Is the same as the previous with the garbage removed and to re-forming.

initially i made it in creo elements/pro 5.0..but the latest one i uploaded is in creo 2.0.

i do not have creo 3.0...they stopped our maintenance mid-way..how cruel is that.

So where is this new_flatten_quilt option?

Seriously, that last file just locked me out of doing anything with those two features.

in the add option just enter "new_flatten_quilt" the ok option will be activated. this is in creo 2.0

You must have a style option or something... I get nothing

you have to add it in the config.pro.

its a hidden option

new_flatten_quilt.JPGnew_flatten_quilt_config hidden option.JPG

Okay, finally got it to go to the new UI (was missing the YES/NO). Not impressed!

Okay, this fails miserably with fills and merged boundary blends in the corners.

I can get a consistent flat state with 1/2 the part when the original was made with the boundary blend using control points as a single object. It is very tedious entering those points and it fails every time I enter the last pair.

hate to say this..but it was a piece of cake on CATIA.

the boundary blend and the flatten both of them.

and CATIA was able to flatten the complete quilt..

PTC should really look at some of these saga challenges we come up with.

Including recording the time it takes an engineer to actually do the challenge, and not find some obscure work-around or tell us that this is not how -anyone- would ever do -anything-.

Finally got it using a two-stage flatten process. I thought I had it in one, but it left a triangle behind. For some reason, it doesn't recognize the split surface and maintain the rest as a single quilt.

I turned off the hidden flatten quilt UI so others can use this without it enabled.

split_flatten_solved.PNG

Video Link : 5169

PTC is like an Indian goverment office..they will only work if a lot of pressure is put on them..in this case a big customer asks them to put in some functionality..otherwise you have to do with what you have been given

Of course, after the mirrored group, you can flatten each half and merge them.

But most importantly, the feature creation method creates a reliable result apparently with very little distortion.

The edge is still 220 and the arc length is within .001 of the original.

And it works well flatten-quilt deformation if you needed to add something in the flat state.

split_flatten_solved_II.PNG

Top Tags