cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

how to develop this?

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine

how to develop this?

how to flatten this ?

made in creo elements/pro 5.0

49 REPLIES 49

i made one more..i was able to flatten everything in one flatten quilt.

please have a look.

Wow! Who'd-a-thunk

and one more i tried..instead of using extrude cut for the surface..i split the surface...it worked...

the result..of that one might not be exactly correct.

I see that you have a small gap a the ends that allowed you to do this.

I cannot get split surface to be available. Doesn't that require the style feature? I have been using the trim.

split_flatten_unsolved.PNG

i think you use the flip arrow option in trim three times and it give split surface. the flip arrow option with icon..not the one in the graphics window

Ah, yes... that doesn't work either

I guess this is correct too, depending on where you want the seam.

split_flatten_solved_III.PNG

Of course, adding a fill at the other end is easy since it is a very easy to create triangle where the only variable is a value of 110 and the angle is the same as the others.

i thnk i will agree with you on this one.

sorry...i am wrong...it is trim only

but the mesh shows split..surface..

Yes, but the flatten quilt doesn't recognize it. Even in the new dialog, try selecting all 8 individual surface... it won't let you, even if the triangle is a separate surface all together.

And then you have things like this where this is a piece of cake!

Flatten?

the one i uploaded last was done on wildfire 4.0

At least we learned how to make the correct pattern if not the easiest way. About as back-arswards as you can get.

And a quick way to split that up:

mirror the entire boundary blend

merge it choosing the option that removed the bad slopes

use remove surface and use "leave open" and "keep removed surfaces"

trim (split) the opposite triangle

place the flatten point ref on each slanted line where you "removed" the surface

And unfold each half ...again.

The removed surface becomes the filler for both the formed and unformed feature.

yes you covered everything...it was pretty interesting for me.

somehow i like proe even more now...

flatten quilt is not there in solidworks...no bend solid either.

The flatten quilt is the underlying code for sheetmetal unfold. You get a sheetmetal package in SW that does unfold. I suspect they felt there was no need for surface flattening.

However, I have found occasion to need flatten quilt where sheetmetal fails. This has curvature in 2 directions so there was no other way to develop it. And the holes on the end had to remain on the spherical axis. Parts like this are formed in rollers and is still a fairly common shop practice.

flatten_quilt.JPG

art_halfloop.JPG

recently we had a drawing which was to be converted in solidworks, and we also needed its development.

it had nothing to do with sheetmetal.

so took a step file into proe..copied the surface and flattened it with flatten quilt and then took that flattened part back to solidworks.

curve pattern on the circular flatten surface has a small error.

the last point does not end exactly lie at the end of the curve

That is proabably the cumultative .001 error between the flat length and the original arc length.

thankyou very much Antonius, you have helped a lot.

Top Tags