cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

how to make a tooling asembly

Mickyd1
1-Newbie

how to make a tooling asembly

hi guys

i would like to add my cutting tools to a back end (bt40) to help with my simulation. Ive created the tools and the back end part but dont know how to put the 2 together.

thanks for any help

michael

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:Mickyd1)

Michael,

By back end I assume you mean the tool holder? there is already a library of tool holders available in Pro so you don't have to make them(at least thats the way it is setup on my computer).

What you need to do is make an assembly of the tool holder and end mill save the assembly to a directory where you can find it then bring that assembly into tool setup using file open tool library then by copy or by reference. you then find your tool assembly and if it built correctly it should come in as a solid model.

tool assembly.JPG

tool assembly in tool setup.JPG

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine
(To:Mickyd1)

Michael,

By back end I assume you mean the tool holder? there is already a library of tool holders available in Pro so you don't have to make them(at least thats the way it is setup on my computer).

What you need to do is make an assembly of the tool holder and end mill save the assembly to a directory where you can find it then bring that assembly into tool setup using file open tool library then by copy or by reference. you then find your tool assembly and if it built correctly it should come in as a solid model.

tool assembly.JPG

tool assembly in tool setup.JPG

thanks steve

Hello Steve,

I want to assemble an END MILL (diameter 3 MM) and a TOOLHOLDER.

Which MILL and TOOLHOLDER do I have to choose from the Tooling library?

Where do I find the metric mills and are there metric (MM) toolholders?

thanks,

bern

Hi Bern,

If you go to the support page do a search for tool Library catalog and down load it. It's a 2 1/2 megabyte pdf file that tells you what all the tools, holders and fixture parts are with all the abreviations for the family table parts. I have it downloaded and on my desktop so when I have to find a tool or fixture part I just open that and look up what I need.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I downloaded the catalog, but I can't seem to find the metric END MILLS, and toolholders...

On which pages are they?

greets,

bern

Bern,

The metric end mills start in section 9 under iso mills

regards,

Steve

OK, I found them.

I need a 3 mm flat end mill, so I have to choose the IMCPS03 (parallel shanks).

Is that correct?

Then I need a toolholder for this mill...Which one do I choose?

thank,

bern

Bern,

They are family tables so i think the part is in the imcps family table.prt there could be 20 different diameter end mills in that part. When you select the family table you choose what diameter you want. same with the holders.

Sorry I don't have a lot of time to explain right now to reply, But I will have more time tomorrow.

Steve

OK Steve,

I've got the tool now , a 3 mm mill. But I got to find a holder fot thid mill.

The holders I see are not ISO (mm) I believe...

thanks,

bern

What brand and model holder are you using in your machine? I downloaded this file right from the vendors website Metric hydralic holder.

schunk.PNG

Bern,

The tool holder it self really doesn't matter. By that I mean if you are doing gouge checking against the tool holder as long as the outside dimensions match what you are using the tool holder assembly really can be anything you assemble. The tool and holder are assembled on the center axis and face of the tool holder. So you can take a cat 40 er32 collet chuck with a 1/2 inch collet and assemble your 3 mm end mill in that and it will still work for what you are doing. Even solid tool holders if you take an 1/8 inch end mill holder and assemble your 3mm end mill it will work as long as the outside dimensions are close.

hope this makes sense to you,

Steve

Thnaks Steve;

I will try that

bern

Is it possible to post link, Nick?

thanks

Sure here is a link

The assembly has the Schunk holder and a 10mm Fraisa bem

Top Tags