Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to save as new mirror part in different planes

Re: how to save as new mirror part in different planes

Ah, this is true, good point Doug.

TIL that it appears to be just a principle of symmetry that if you mirror something about a plane, the resulting something is independent of the plane you mirror it about.  Makes sense when you think about it; I can't think of a counterexample, at least.

Guess that's why PTC doesn't let you pick what plane to mirror about when doing a SaveAs > Mirror, since it doesn't matter.

Re: how to save as new mirror part in different planes

@sxw9637 wrote:

Ah, this is true, good point Doug.

TIL that it appears to be just a principle of symmetry that if you mirror something about a plane, the resulting something is independent of the plane you mirror it about.  Makes sense when you think about it; I can't think of a counterexample, at least.

Guess that's why PTC doesn't let you pick what plane to mirror about when doing a SaveAs > Mirror, since it doesn't matter.

It only really matters in terms of the orientation of the geometry to the default CS.  It'd be nice to be able to define which side faces up and front.  Now, I usually need to define a second CS for assembly purposes. Not a huge deal, really, but an extra step I'd like to avoid.

--
Doug Schaefer | Engineering Manager
Crow Works