cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

how to setup a sweep to follow around a cylinder

mspencer
5-Regular Member

how to setup a sweep to follow around a cylinder

I am trying to model a slot which would be cut with a ball endmill while rotating on a 4th axis with a sweep. I projected a curve on to my cylinder which is the trajectory for my sweep, and sketched my cross section. However, I cannot figure out how to get it to remain perpendicular to the cylinder axis throughout the cut. It is sweeping fine, but follows the sweep profile while remaining with the same horizontal\vertical references as the inital sketch. Any suggestions how to create this geometry easier? Attached is what it looks like currently.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Create a surface that is offset from the cylinder and project the curve on that as well. This can serve as an x-trajectory.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Create a surface that is offset from the cylinder and project the curve on that as well. This can serve as an x-trajectory.

mspencer
5-Regular Member
(To:dschenken)

Thank you...this is perfect! Stupid me should have thought of that. Cheers!

Top Tags