cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

let weak dimension modify automatically

vdevan
14-Alexandrite

let weak dimension modify automatically

i have faced this problem often.. (and an annoying thing in Creo).. 

lets say i have a simple sketch as shown in the attachment, 

i have given the overall dimension is 120mm , now when i tried to change the overall dimension to 130mm , it won't change... 

i will have to delete the dimension (120) drag the curve to nearest point to 130 and then if i give the 130 dimension .. it will work .. 

is there way ti disable to weak dimensions from governing the curve and let it change automatically when i give a dimension .... ?

thanks in advance.... 

8 REPLIES 8
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:vdevan)

Creo needs the geometry to be fully defined. Thus, though you explicitly defined the overall height, and the radius of the arc at the top, you didn't give it enough. It "guesses" and puts the weak dimension you see. You try to increase the overall height to a value greater than the sum of the weak "side length" and the radius, so rightly enough the modification fails.

Why don't you just put another dimension in that defines the height from the center of the arc to the top of your sketch? Isn't that what you are looking for in the end, anyway?

vdevan
14-Alexandrite
(To:KenFarley)

as you have said it , creo "guesses" and puts the weak dimensions, and stubborn not to change when i wanted it to change unless i drag it.

as you have suggested, i could add the dimension from the center of the arc, but i do not want to control with that dimension, i want to control with overall height.. 

its a simple sketch here, but it puts me under tremendous stress when the sketch gets complicated ...

thanks anyway for your time .. 

You will have to take a step back, and look at the design intent of your sketch.

Yes, you like to control the overall height, but as Ken states, you will have to put a couple more dimensions (or other constaints) into your sketch. You could for example add the width of your curve, that will get rid of the dimension to the center of your arc.

vdevan
14-Alexandrite
(To:HamsterNL)

yes, i will add those dimensions definitely.. 

but before that, 

i want to have my overall height as 130.. in order to get to that (from 120).. i need to delete the dimension drag the curve and give dimension again to get to 130..  the weak dimensions will change when i drag .. but won't change when i give an another dimension ... (hope u understood what i am trying to achieve here)

looks like there is no way to achieve that .. 

thanks you for your effort ... 

StephenW
23-Emerald II

You don't have to delete the dimension. You can just drag the sketch. When you select the center of the radius, you can drag it so your 130 dimension is about right.

If your sketches get too complicated, you probably need to reconsider the way the feature is constructed.Keeping sketches simple has always been a good practice.

In any case, there is no option to make Creo do exactly what you want it to do.

vdevan
14-Alexandrite
(To:StephenW)

Thank you for your time and effort Stephen... 

i will try to do that .. 

i wish the PTC people had the willingness as much as people like you , trying to help the designers .. 

i believe what i am asking is not too much from creo developers .. 

do they even heed to their customer voices .. I just wonder .. 

mcestnik
13-Aquamarine

You could use square selection and modify-lock scale option. This should work without dragging geometry.

In Creo 4.0 modify is in floating toolbar so this option is almost as fast as editing it.

vdevan
14-Alexandrite
(To:mcestnik)

Thanks you mcestnic

Top Tags