cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

link a parameter between parts

CAD_user
13-Aquamarine

link a parameter between parts

I hava a parameter in one part, that defines it's height. I would like to link this parameter to other parts, for when i change the parameter in the first part, every part updates with the new height.

How can i make this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:CAD_user)

In case you have not got the answer. Here are the steps to extract a parameter value from a reference part:

Capture.JPGI also attached the PPT and example files here for your reference. Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

The best controlled method uses a feature that used to be called a 'layout' that has been re-branded as 'notebook' The file format is identified with a .lay suffix.

A Notebook can contain simple sketch elements as well as parameters that can be 'declared' in any number of models.

See http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/#page/assembly%2Fasm%2Fasm_three_sub%2FAbout_Declaring_Notebooks.html%23 for hints about using them for your requirement.

An alternative would be to create relations that use the session ID of the component to flag the correct model to retrieve a value from. However, if some change is made as to which model should drive other models then all other models would need to be altered. Also, this requires the source model to be in session to correctly update the referencing models. A Notebook has a much smaller memory footprint.

CAD_user
13-Aquamarine
(To:dschenken)

Hello, thanks by your reply. Definitely with notbook it's possible.

Can you show me an example of  create relations that use the session ID of the component to flag the correct model to retrieve a value from? Sometimes I don't have a notebook, and I need to share a parameter between parts, and I still  didn' found of how to do it.

Thanks

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:CAD_user)

In case you have not got the answer. Here are the steps to extract a parameter value from a reference part:

Capture.JPGI also attached the PPT and example files here for your reference. Hope it helps.

CAD_user
13-Aquamarine
(To:BHOoi)

Many thanks 🙂

That's really what i was looking for. That really solves my problem.

By the way, You did an awesome presentation to show how to do it. Really nice job.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Don't you have to have both parts in session for the relation to work? If you only open up part 2 but not part 1, doesn't a warning about a missing external reference happen? I use an assembly as a "skeleton" to create parts that become a weldment and I get those warnings if I don't load up the assembly before opening any of the parts that depend on it.

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:KenFarley)

yes, whenever you retrieve the part, its referenced part(s) will be brought in to the session as well to ensure everything is up to date. This is the beauty of associativity, isn't it?

There are some settings in config that control the retrieval of the references but personally I still prefer to bring in all related parts into the session. I only turn on the settings(not to retrieve the referenced parts/skeletons/master parts) when I open up other people's files for viewing purpose to speed up retrieval.

pausob
18-Opal

Nice! I never knew you could link information from parts together like what you've shown - that is, without first

putting them both into an assembly.

In the assembly context, it is relatively easy to find the ID (go to the "show" menu in the the relations dialog box).

So with your method, how does one determine the session ID ?

BHOoi
15-Moonstone
(To:pausob)

By the same way, via assembly. A temporary assembly can be created solely for checking the session ID of the part being referenced. The assembly can then be ignored, or quit without saving.

Note the same method can be used to retrieve parameters from data sharing part such as merge or inheritance. In this case, the feature ID is used instead of session ID.

Top Tags