cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

"Section Regeneration Failed. Ambiguous Sketch." - How to load a sketch into a part file?

jmorgan-3
2-Guest

"Section Regeneration Failed. Ambiguous Sketch." - How to load a sketch into a part file?

I tried to import a very simple sketch as a part file. It was a rectangle with rounded corners. There were no unclosed loops and it was shaded inside, signifying closed loops. I saved it and opened a new part file. I selected Extrude, chose my plane, and then tried to load in the sketch via "File System." The sketch would load in, let me position and size it, and then when I clicked the check mark it would disappear. What is going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I used CREO 3.0 on windows 10 with i74790k processor and GTX750 2gb video card.

I should note that I tried to do the project on my laptop as well and had the same failed results. I moved to my desktop and it still would not work.

I will list the steps I took using a circle. The original problem used a rectangle with fillets of equal size (the cross-section of a 2x4 piece of lumber).

1) set working directory to a place in Documents.

2) New sketch -> circle tool -> set radius to 10units -> save.

3) New Part -> extrude -> select plane -> "File System" from the "Get Data" ribbon" -> insert image, Set the scaling to 1, click "ok" -> image loaded and I could extrude. 

These are the steps I did previously, however, only my steps went as:

3) ... -> "insert image, set scaling to 1, click "ok"' -> image failed to load.

No window appeared, but in the lower left bar, the very bottom of the monitor if you have it full screened, it displayed the message "Section Regeneration failed. Ambiguous sketch."

***Update***

After performing the test with the circle, I restarted Creo and attempted to extrude my original rectangular sketch again. It loaded and could extrude. I changed nothing from my original attempt earlier this week.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Did it create a new feature in the model tree?

Was there an error message in the message window?

What version of software are you using?

What version of windows are you using?

What graphics hardware are you using?

Can you create the sketch by hand and have it create a feature that is extruded?

If you have multiple loops or overlapping geometry it will still shade the completed areas and not be able to create an extrusion.

Try a simpler sketch (which is not a part file - that reference is confusing) that is just one circle.

I used CREO 3.0 on windows 10 with i74790k processor and GTX750 2gb video card.

I should note that I tried to do the project on my laptop as well and had the same failed results. I moved to my desktop and it still would not work.

I will list the steps I took using a circle. The original problem used a rectangle with fillets of equal size (the cross-section of a 2x4 piece of lumber).

1) set working directory to a place in Documents.

2) New sketch -> circle tool -> set radius to 10units -> save.

3) New Part -> extrude -> select plane -> "File System" from the "Get Data" ribbon" -> insert image, Set the scaling to 1, click "ok" -> image loaded and I could extrude. 

These are the steps I did previously, however, only my steps went as:

3) ... -> "insert image, set scaling to 1, click "ok"' -> image failed to load.

No window appeared, but in the lower left bar, the very bottom of the monitor if you have it full screened, it displayed the message "Section Regeneration failed. Ambiguous sketch."

***Update***

After performing the test with the circle, I restarted Creo and attempted to extrude my original rectangular sketch again. It loaded and could extrude. I changed nothing from my original attempt earlier this week.

mbonka
15-Moonstone
(To:jmorgan-3)

Sometime Creo got it´s own life ...

Mark your answer correct, if your problem was solved...

mbonka
15-Moonstone
(To:jmorgan-3)

Hello jeremy morgan

first what is going on my mind is: different Model accuracy.

File - Prepare - Model properties

model_accuracy.JPG

Try to set the same in original and target part.

Regards

Milan Bonka

I don't know, I guess I'll keep going with it and make a new thread if it happens more consistently. I haven't been able to recreate the problem since that day.

Top Tags