cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

sheet metal half-shear button

jdonovan-2
6-Contributor

sheet metal half-shear button

Hi ... CREO4 user ..... trying to create a half shear button in sheetmetal part ... what is easiest/best way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In the sheetmetal, use sketched form, change type to "piercing" instead of "punched" (2nd icon in the ribbon).

Then just sketch a circle...

half_shear_buttons.png 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jdonovan-2
6-Contributor
(To:jdonovan-2)

BTW ... I tried to do a "sketched form punch" .... it made the small half-punched hole in the front surface, but creates a larger (added sheetmetal thickness) plug diameter on the back surface.    Hole diameter in front and plug diameter in back should be the same on a half shear button

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jdonovan-2)

Not sure what you mean by a half-sheer button, but how do you punch material and get the same diameter on both sides of your sheet?  The material has to be deformed someplace and I would expect the back side to be larger than the punch by the material thickness.

jdonovan-2
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

A half-shear button is a common sheet metal practice used for accurately locating parts prior to spot welding   ….. it basically punches a hole at half-depth on the front surface while creating a plug, of same diameter, at half depth out from the backside surface.

I’ve been able in the past to create this on solidworks sheet metal parts with just a two step process …. 1) create a hole at half depth on the front  2) create an extrusion out the back   ……………. But I can’t seem to do it in CREO

@jdonovan-2

Check the sample files at below link, I hope it will help

http://support.ptc.com/cs/cs_25/howto/smd452/smd452.htm

hello, thank you for your reply, but for some reason it won't let me access that link  …. says "I don't have permission to view that directory" …. ???

Are you expecting something as in below image?

smt.jpg

No ….. this is what a half-shear button is ….

I think you can use punch tool half-shear button creation ....  if it matches your requirement... 

files from earlier document are attached here... 

In the sheetmetal, use sketched form, change type to "piercing" instead of "punched" (2nd icon in the ribbon).

Then just sketch a circle...

half_shear_buttons.png 

jdonovan-2
6-Contributor
(To:pausob)

Perfect …. thank you very much !!

Top Tags