cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

start part

tom_putt
2-Guest

start part

i have created a part without using the correct start part. is there a way to add the correct start part to the existing part?

13 REPLIES 13
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:tom_putt)

simple answer: No

Options

1) add the relations and parameters from a start part to your existing part.

2) import the model into a new part created from the proper start part.

Remove the bad start part from the default directory so it doesn't get used again. Put it in a sub-folder so you have to do some work to use it. Be sure your config.pro points to the proper default starts part.

ok, the start part only fills the parameters in. is there a way to import the correct parameters?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Not really and for 1 part it is faster to just do it manually.

If you had a whole bunch of files, then ModelCheck can add parameters, but it takes a bit to set up ModelCheck for that.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

SOMETIMES model check can do it.  I've been having issues with that here.  Most times, I have to create the parameters manually.  TOTAL PITA when our start parts have 21 printed pages of parameters!!!

For layers, there is a neat trick I learned here where you delete all the layers in the bad part, open the start part, select the layers there, click in the open layer area of the bad part, and just paste them in.  It works with a caveat:  SOMETIMES the rules don't work and you have to redo them manually.  It's a little quirky (as I mentioned in another couple threads).  It seems the more robust way to do it IF you have rules-based layers, is create a temp assembly, insert the bad part with no layers, pick the layers in the assy, then "Extend Rules".

dnordin
15-Moonstone

You can use the basic copy-paste function to copy parameters from one model to another.

Article - CS54195

How to copy/export parameters from one model and import to another model in Creo Parametric

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS54195

Regards,

Dan N.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:dnordin)

I tried doing a simple cut&paste with parameters, and it didn't work for me.  I was only able to get the layers to work like that, with that caveat.

I'll have to try the method listed above, thanks.  Kind of a moot point now, as most of what I need to fix has been fixed, but, some haven't, so I'll try it, thanks!

Of note, I tried it, and the "extend rules" method works better and more robust for copying layers than the cut&paste method for that tricky 03_CURVES layer I was having issues with.

The easiest way to bring in the parameters is to use a neutral file.

Open your start part and pick File > Save As > Save A Copy.  In the dialog, pick a location and select Neutral(*.neu) from the Type drop down and then OK.

In the part that needs the parameters, from the Model tab select Get Data > Import. Browse to your neutral file and import it.  It will bring in the parameters from the start part with the neutral import.  Once imported, you can delete the neutral import feature and the parameters will stay behind.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:dgschaefer)

I will have to try that, thanks!

It doesn't work with sheet metal parts or assys, but it works great with standard parts.  When I had a lot of parts to change, I created the *.neu in a known location and made a mapkey that does the import and delete automatically.

It does bring in layers too, but it only seems to bring in the layers that have items on them.  Layer rules are lost, however, so it's probably not the best way to bring layers in.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:dgschaefer)

Oddly, neither yours nor the other method works.  With your method, the import fails and it the import does not get created at all, thus no layers are created.  Bummer, as I was really hoping this would be the fix.

This issue has become a total PITA for me since we have an absolutely absurd number of parameters (and an equally absurd number of relations) to go with them.  It's a nightmare, but since nothing I've tried works, I'm resigned to wasting huge amounts of time entering them in by hand.....

I think the Parameters dialog box now has a way to export and import parameters via XML. I think I tried it once but didn't get it to work. Still, worth exploring.

Dave Martin - dmartin@creowindchill.com - https://www.mcaeconsulting.com
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:DaveMartin)

@ Dave:  I tried it, and the XML file doesn't do anything.  It WOULD be nice to have it work as an easily exported then imported file (like a config.pro or a .ui file), but sadly, no.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

You CAN do a Cut&Paste of parameters from a new LANL Start Part to an older part with no parameters, but there are a couple major caveats and some difficult tricks to get it to actually work.  It is NOT a simple Cut&Paste.  The steps are as follows:

1. In the part you want to copy the parameters FROM, you have to first sort the “Source” column by "User Defined" parameters as it appears those are the only ones you can copy (makes sense, since the Windchill and Intralink parameters are system generated).

2.  Pick (left-click) a parameter, then right-click to get the pop-up, and select "Select Parameter”.

1. Then you can “Shift/Select” the parameters you want, EXCEPT for the parameter

“PTC_MATERIAL_NAME”, because even though it shows as a “User Defined” parameter, it is not, it is actually a system parameter CHANGED by the user.

4.         Select “Copy” from the popup.

1. Then select “Ok”. The parameters are now on your clipboard.
  1. Go into the part you want to copy the parameters TO, and open the parameters popup.

7.         In the empty space, put your cursor, and right-click to get the pop-up menu, then pick “Paste.

8.         You will now have your pasted parameter.

1. Note: You will have to manually “Designate” all the parameters that need to be designated, and will need to modify some or all of the values to get what you want, but the parameters will be there, be the right type (string, integer, etc.), and this is MUCH faster than trying to add them manually.  There may also be issues if one or 2 of the parameters already exist, but that will be up to the operator on a case-by-case basis.

Sorry about the formatting issues here, the site obviously does not like things pasted from Word.

It's kind of a PITA, but FAR less than manually creating them like I'd been doing for out zillion-6 parameters!

Top Tags