cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

sweep

abia?ow?s
1-Newbie

sweep

Hi I have a small problem using a sweep feature in Creo 3.0.

Using this sweep feature i can create sketch on a normal plane to trajectory line.

for example i am sending some screens what i want to do (this example i have made in solidworks)

p.s. sorry for bad englisch:p

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
41 REPLIES 41

I think SW is doing something that Creo cannot, at least directly.  It's taking an existing sketch (the blue triangle in the image below that Antonious posted) and creating a cut by essentially "dragging" it along the pink trajectory.  What's novel, compared to Creo, is that the sketch is not normal to the trajectory nor does it stay parallel, it rotates with the trajectory.  It's a bit like dragging a metal edge over a clay model.  Nothing in Creo that I'm aware of can do that.

pastedImage_0.png

Now, because the pink trajectory is an arc, you can create the same geometry be flipping the roles, which is what I did above and I think is slightly different from Rohit's VSS.  Make the arc the sketch in your VSS and use two trajectories.  The origin and the normal trajectory is a line through the center of the fillet, the other is the hypotenuse  of the triangle.  By aligning the center of the arc with the origin and tying the arc to the hypotenuse, you end up with the same trumpet's bell shape:

sweep_3.JPG

When made as a cut, it creates the same shape and creates a tangency to the fillet and not to the sides.  This is using the same geometric principles in different ways, which should create identical geometry.  That it's not identical puzzles me some, I assume that it's a SW to Creo translation error or perhaps an accuracy setting in Creo or SW.  It's very, very close, however.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Interesting.  I will have to check that.

Your assessment of the original feature is correct.

The surface is actually quite accurate on the STEP transfer (I've compared them in many ways).

Precision is what makes the comparison fail when they are identical.  If it can create the solid using default settings, they are different.

The clay model analogy is quite accurate.  This is the "artist's" advantage in "freeform" sculpting.  Something like how calligraphy appeals to certain people where the characters stands out in 3D for them.

Hi Doug...

I haven't looked carefully at the various VSS solutions (Rohit's, etc). However, with two trajectories (RED and PURPLE below), you should be able to create a multi-trajectory sweep to create the same cut. But whether or not this is accurate, I keep coming back to the same thing (and I mean this with no offense and all due respect). Why in the heck would we make such a thing? It seems to me that SW is creating geometry almost no one would actually expect or want.

Unless the original poster is an expert SW designer trying to create some exceptionally intricate and crucial piece of geometry which Creo is struggling with, I have to believe he just wanted a round tapering to a point at a discrete location along an edge. If that's all he wanted to do, Creo can do this in one feature. The SW geometry is not what I would expect to see and it's not what I would want my machinist to create for me. Therefore, I think it's poor. If SW provided several solutions to the same portion of geometry allowing you to alter the tangencies and other details, that might be more impressive. Maybe they do?

By the way... the "3D sweep of solid geometry" to create cuts is on the way in Creo 5.0. This finally allows us to simulate a tool being dragged through 3D space removing material as is goes. It seems like maybe this capability would allow you to model the geometry in question.

Hmm... an interesting piece of geometry at minimum.

Thanks,

-Brian

Having access to SW and seeing how this is built, I don't thing the two highlighted curves will get the same results.  Perhaps a screenshot out of SW without the zebra stripes would help (they threw me off initially):

sweep_4.JPG

He's created a sweep around that arc that creates a straight line when intersected with the side wall of the rectangle.  SW lets him start with that straight line and just sweep it around the arc.  One sketch, one trajectory. The profile sketch is actually tangent to the trajectory and remains so throughout the sweep.

I don't know why he would want this, but it doesn't really matter (though I will agree, that understanding what you are really after is more important in order to use the right tools to get you the right results).  The question here is how would you create that in Creo?  You can't do the same thing, Creo doesn't offer the functionality.  But you can get there.. 

Interestingly, this illustrates SW's ability to take whatever inputs you give it and just make something.  I've noticed that SW users tend to exploit that, resulting in geometry that works but they got there by means that aren't necessarily obvious. And later, when it needs to change, that can make it difficult.  Here, for example, I've seen users (not necessarily this user) thinking go something like "this will result in an angled transition so I'll sketch one and then sweep it around the fillet."  The triangle doesn't really matter, the angled line doesn't matter, only the smooth transition.  But this is how they thought of it and SW built it, so there you go.

Creo doesn't really tolerate this kinds of free thinking well.  It rewards careful planning, thinking through your intent and building to what you want.  Expert SW users who have learned to work well within its more forgiving framework struggle with Creo.  The reverse is true as well, after close to 2 decades of using Creo, SW drives me mad.  It seems that it's always trying to guess what I'm after and make something from what I've given it, and it gets in the way of what I really want in the process.

--
LinkedIn

Is your second image not it?

sweep_3.JPG

The trajectory of any point along the line must be an arc (so the arcs increase in radius along the line) and therefore it's just a matter of 'projecting' (wrapping? unwrapping?) the line back around the cylinder it sweeps, to a common plane passing through the axis.  Since your 'trumpet bell' appears to cleanly intersect the line in your image above, it would seem to satisfy the definition.

The image you linked to in your post is Creo, the image in my post that you replied to is from SW.

Yes, it is it. I'm saying this is the way to satisfy the same conditions in SW using the tools available in Creo.  The other methods mentioned accomplish something similar, this accomplishes it directly.

--
LinkedIn

It seems like in Solidworks  the triangular profile is dragged along the trajectory as mentioned by you and then as it reaches the end of the trajectory it gets tired and goes of to sleep.

I did confirm the geometry is correct.  Creo is really sloppy with these types of surfaces.  When it creates intersects it sort of bounces along what should be a straight line.  Now twist that line and add more artifacts.  Much higher precision corrects it to nearly imperceptible.

And when you think about it long enough, yes, it had to be the same.

So yes, the sweep is a single feature that can use guide geometry to create this solid cut with a simple surface sweep.

attached is a step file which has been done in ISDX.

the sweep surface from ISDX is very similar to what happens in Solidworks.

sweep_2_isdx.JPG

the image from ISDX sweep

Ha!  Now you uncovered PTC's evil scheme.  Pay more!

And yes, that is the same as the SW model.

Top Tags