Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tapped hole parameters

Re: tapped hole parameters

Good luck, Kyle!

Highlighted

Good Luck Kyle.

I was using notepad++ to edit the *.hole files. I am working on the creation of a dowel.hol file for dowel pins, thru/blind.

I have yet to figure out where the magic between the *.hol file and the Creo dashboard occurs

Kyle,

You can do different notes based on the type of hole. At the bottom of the .hol file add information on the hole, with the callout format for that type of hole. Basically you build a matrix showing the possible hole variants and the note for each variant. An example is below:

HOLE_TYPETHREADDRILLED_DEPTHTHREAD_DEPTHCSINKCBOREEXIT_CSINK

CALLOUT_FORMAT

TAPPED YES THRU
THRU
NO NO NO

I will give you a starter UNF / UNC file with modified callouts if you would like.

Bill

Bill,

This is exactly what I am looking to achieve; type of hole specific notes. I'm assuming that I uniquely name the callout format under the CALLOUT_FORMAT column, and refer to that unique name when specifying the formatting of that specific note? A started file would save me a ton of time otherwise spent experimenting.

Thanks for the info and help!

Edit:

Ahhhh.... I was zigging when I should have been zagging. I put the formatting text under the CALLOUT_FORMAT column, not an unique name (face palm)

Kyle, that is what that linked file is above formatting_thread_notes... from the help files. It is just not clear to me what format this file has to be and where it has to be. If you get this to work, please consider posting your file and solution here.

Several months ago I've also tried the make the *.hol files work for me the way you guys describe.

The attached is a *.hol file I've started from. It's easily editable in notepad, not that well in wordpad.

I got stuck with the problem I couldn't get depth of a countersink into hole note other ways than using relations, which seemed too tedious. So that's why I gave up on the DEFAULT_CALLOUT_FORMAT_DATA as a whole. Just using the THREAD_DATA table to be able to define holes faster, and not bothering with hole notes anymore.

Good luck.

Take a look at the attached hole files. They will at least be a starting point for you.

That is -very- helpful, Bill. Thank you!

Antonius, I was having some interesting issues opening the XPS documentation you attached earlier that mirrored the info the Bill included. I'm bummed I didn't see the DEFAULT_CALLOUT_FORMAT_DATA table documentation earlier!

I was able to get the new .hol files modified and working. I ended up adding every possible combination of standard hole states that is listed in the documentation. In the CALLOUT_FORMAT column I added the string "Empty CALLOUT_FORMAT entry in myUNC.hol file" for every entry in the table. This way I already have most of the infrastructure of the file in place. If I'm making a hole and I see the "Empty CALLOUT_FORMAT ..." string as the hole note, I can quickly add the formatting text in the hole file. This way, I will slowly populate the callout formatting for all of the holes over time. If anyone wants the .txt file with all of the possibilities already typed out let me know (it was not a pleasant experience).

Thanks again for the info and files Bill, they were a huge help. I can't tell you how long I have wanted to make unique hole notes for the different types of holes. This will save me massive amounts of time when making drawings.

-very- clever

I will have to find a better format. I thought XPS was pretty much universal for windows.