cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

text won't update on assy part

dbolden
4-Participant

text won't update on assy part

I am etching text into a part.  I had to change some of the text, which I did.  The extrude cut text won't update and show revised text.  The sketch has the right text but the actual cut is the old.  You can see the overlay of both when you highlight the area, but the cut is just the old.  Is there something I am missing?  I tried deleting and recreating but now if gives me an error.  I have no idea what the problem is because Creo is SO descriptive.

Military product so I cannot upload any images.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:dbolden)

Did you use an external sketch first and then edit the cut feature and make it an internal sketch?

dbolden
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

I may have.  If I did would it show the sketch above the feature and sketch?  If I had edited the sketch (the one above the feature cut) would it update?  I even deleted the feature cut an tried to bring in an external sketch but that fails and doesn't show.

How do I delete the feature and then use the sketch to recreate the cut feature?  The SKETCH 2 has the right info but won't show in the cut.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Just by looking, it's still linked to the external sketch, you can tell because it has the name "sketch 2". Otherwise it would be "section x"

The cut feature is failing for some reason. Maybe the cut arrow is filled to cut the wrong way when you edited the sketch. Maybe it's not a complete or closed sketch. Possibly it has an open loop in the sketch?

It's hard to tell but since you can't create a new feature using the external sketch, it's probably a problem with the sketch geometry.

dbolden
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

The cut is all text.  Wouldn't that naturally close the sketch?

If I delete the feature, it leaves the external sketch.  How do I use that to create a new cut feature?  I highlighted it and then chose extrude. I confirm direction of cut but it still fails.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Your creating the new cut feature correctly, so it's 99% in your sketch.

When inside the sketch, try deleting the text to verify there is no other entities hidden under the text. That's about the only thing I can think of.

Oh, and fonts other than font3d don't work or I've never seen them work.

Other thing I would do is to create a new sketch with the same text and try a new cut feature to see if it is reproducible

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Is this an assembly cut? These are handled internally by creating a family table part on the fly for each intersected part. If the assembly sketch regens, but the cut fails, Creo may not change the family table part. It can't bring up the part to work on, because it's on-the-fly and intended to be invisible to the user at all times.

You can try making a test block, so no proprietary image problems.

Most often problem is placing the text sketch plane right on the surface and making a shallow feature. It causes problems when the software tries to find an intersection and the length of the extrusion is small compared to the part/assembly extents.

So, create a sketch plane a good distance (1/2 inch) above the surface and create a depth plane that is offset into the part by the desired amount. A .005 cut may fail while a .505 cut from .500 away will work fine.

Top Tags