cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

weird that Pro/e customers ask for explicit modeling and solidworks customers don't?

bcavanaugh
1-Newbie

weird that Pro/e customers ask for explicit modeling and solidworks customers don't?

It is interesting that PTC says that Pro/e customers are asking for direct modeling features, yet when solidworks polls their customer base, explicit modeling isn't high on the list.(so say solidworks execs.)

So, it will be interesting to see the end result a few years from now, as PTC will be spending a good portion of R&D on integration of parametric and explicit while solidworks spends their R&D in other areas...

I've recently had an exposure to Siemens synchronous technology....they have this interesting approach where you can work in history mode until you decide that you don't want to anymore...you click a button and you wipe out your history, never to get it back...then, going forward, you can mode in explicit mode.

I can see alot of our designers reaching for that "button" way too early, then regretting it later...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11

Barry,

Great question. Just remember that many of the original SolidWorks (SW) high level leadership has now been replaced by Dassault. So in my view that is not surprising.

From a technical standpoint SW has spent a fair amount of R&D on the development of SWIFT technology (it is basically an automatic feature reorder-er). SWIFT somewhat reduces the need to focus on your designs feature order. Also, keep in mind that it appears that PTC is not integrating the tools but rather building a CDM (Common Data Model) in which to wrap their products onto.

It will be great for the industry if PTC can get it right. From what I understand Siemens really tried to integrate the technology on top of NX, and as you mentioned it has some flaws. However, it is still spoken of highly from most industry analysts. PTC has a great opportunity here with this approach. Execution is the key. We'll have to wait an see.

One more thing... Will Creo elements/Pro and Creo elements/Direct customers get licenses of both when Creo is released? The excitment PTC is generating from this announcment will quickly wain if the expetations PTC is setting is not met.

Your question about licensing is a good one and is at the top of my list. All of the good news was probably presented at the creo introduction. The bad news will probably be spoon fed in small palatable chunks over the next 6-8 months (pricing, license restructuring, and required migration activities). If the latter was good news, wouldn’t PTC have already presented it?

Joe

TimMcLellan
6-Contributor
(To:colmacpro)

I expect the discussion about Creo to wain a bit over the next few months. I am hoping that PTC has learned it lession about releases, new modules and customers perception of what constitutes a new module.

They will need another spark in the spring or risk very, very slow adoption or worse loss of customers through 2011 and possibly 2012.

Something that would really capture existing customers attention and provide PTC a fresh new appearance (and dare I say reputation) in the industry would be for them to license Creo 1.0 to include the key functioning sets for any Large or SMB company. This would include 2D, Direct & Pro in the base license - lets call it Creo Foundation. It is one thing to talk about Creo as a solution set it's another to deliver it in an package that screams ROI. Existing Pro or Direct customers will say, "yea that is nice, cool, great" but that does not constitute adoption/purchase or a real change in the industry if Pro & Direct are separated.

Time will tell.

Hi Tim,

Just reading the discussion, and wanted to share with you the view of our head of marketing at PTC, Rob Gremley. He posted this comment on creo.ptc.com regarding the topic of pricing just last week:

"Your question about price is a really good one. The AnyRole App technology in Creo will allow us to scale pricing based on the functionality in the app. For example, we could have apps that are free (that would be cool), apps that are modestly priced, and apps that are more expensive. Basically, a scalable pricing model for a portfolio of right-sized apps."

"While we are still working on the pricing model, comments like yours are really important. Thanks for your input, and rest assured that we have no plans to price Creo in a way that would make it unapproachable for valued customers like yourself"

PTC is really taking a fresh new approach with Creo, in all aspects, from the global launch event, to setting up a dedicated website, to even the CAD frustration videos 🙂 - and I'm sure you'll see more and more fresh new approaches as we get closer to the release of Creo 1.0.

TimMcLellan
6-Contributor
(To:ghedges)

Geoffrey,

Thanks for the feedback. I know Rob fairly well (we worked together a number of years ago) and I trust he is working hard at interpreting the right direction. My point is this is a huge opportunity for PTC to shift the general perception (right or wrong) in a very positive way for PTC and its customers (current and new).

Thank you,

Tim

it is quite an interesting matter, actually. Some of PTC's customers use parametric (80%?) and some use cocreate explicit (20%?).

Now, here is the question...pro/e users can accept the idea of having an explicit option, but will they be willing to PAY for it? And if so, how much?

It is in PTC's financial best interest to combine Pro/e and CoCreate into a single product so that they aren't spending R&D in redundant areas. Creo is an excercise in internal consolidation, with the side benefit that PTC can pitch a story of how customers can benefit.

If PTC can convince customers to pay extra for the explicit modeling slice of creo pie, while also enjoying R&D efficiencies should they sunset some of the current cocreate products, well, that will be very clever and profitable business strategy - they would be making money on both ends.

Barry,

I look at it much differently. PTC currently has both Pro/E & CoCreate customers paying maintenance that is used to fund R&D. I am suggesting that PTC not charge an uptick for current customers that have one or the other. Keep in mind they have that revenue stream already.

Rather I am suggesting that PTC enlighten & delight the current user community through a straight forward transition allowing use of 2D, Pro & Direct under their current maintainence agreements (again call it Creo Foundation or whatever). This would surly help them in terms of perception. Imagine, it is no longer hard to use, it's fun, it's modern, and PTC provided more then we expected without an uptick. What would that do to the perception from new/potential/current customers that have heard (right or wrong) PTC is [fill in the blank]?

As I mentioned, it is a huge opportunity for PTC to shock the industry.

Thanks,

Tim

Hello Tim,

well, you've convinced me...perhaps PTC executives are have been convinced as well...

Hi

Like you I consider this Creo-thing like a normal update but this time aswell for Pro-e users as Co-create users.

It should be like going from version 060 to version 070. That way everyone who puts his trust in the capabilitys of the programs and R&D section of PTC want be dissapointed and be able to do an spoken PR towards new clients for PTC.

It's a great thing to know when a program evolves you get the benevits of the latest evolution.

That way you leave all colleaeques far behind. If they want to make the same changes to their programs they will think twice.

Regards

Chris

The generally accepted perception is that PTC software is basically more expensive. With us, the ongoing costs are under scrutiny and future directions are being evaluated. Any increase in costs would not help. Filling in needed “missing” functionality and reducing costs would help.

TimMcLellan
6-Contributor
(To:colmacpro)

Joe,

I consult with a number of companies both very large and SMB's and that is what I run across in terms of perception. Now, with that said I have worked closely with all of the High End CAD vendors and while perception may not match reality - it is the reality (that sounds like Yogi Berra).

Cheers,

Tim

Top Tags