cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

what causes relations to or not to truncate

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

what causes relations to or not to truncate

Why would the relations automatically truncate in the first image, but not truncate in the second image?image 1image 1

/*

image 2image 2

15 REPLIES 15
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:SYNDAKIT)

Sometimes it won't wrap until the model is closed, removed from session, and reopened.  Does doing that make any difference?  What about saving a copy?

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomU)

good observation but I have tried removing from session with making slight changes between:

• replacing tab with space
  • different licences
  • editing the line
  • making the relations fail then editing
  • adding/removing spaces within equation
  • different sizes of relaion windows upon saving
  • using notepad as the relation UI
  • using the new relation editor as the UI

It is very annoying because when the truncation occurs you can't just highlight the newly seperated lines that make up the right side of the equation and evaluate them. You must first re-format the equation to be only one line then you can evaluate it without getting an error.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Sounds like a bug.  Maybe open a support case if you have it.  If not, let me know and I will open one.

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

I opened one but the guy just told me just to put it down as a product idea and hope it gets voted on.

Case #13901571

Grrrrrrr

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Push back.  Ask him to explain why some truncate and others do not.  Ask him to prove to you that the behavior is working correctly.

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

Good thinking. 

I just added a comment to the case.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

If Creo is working 'per spec' ask to get a copy of the spec.

Don't hold your breath waiting!

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

Hey @TomU I think I have figured out what is going on here. 

Man that took a while to figure out. I even had the PTC support guy share his screen so I could walk him thourgh how to do it. 

On top of all of this, it was never a problem in Wild Fire, so at some point there was a regression of functionality. 

This has been very costly to my company and I sure hope that the R&D department can find a solution for us.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

So what did you find out?  Why do some wrap and others do not?

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

Yeah it's as soon as you click on edit design when you are editing the pro/program

It does a few undesirable things.

1- truncates lines and makes them unable to evaluate (although the relations still calculate fine)

2- it also capitalizes all the text. So Part_Length changes to PART_LENGTH

3- Changes most* symbols, from "text symbol", back to its letter value. (see below images)

edit program.JPGbefore_symbol.JPGafter_symbol.JPG

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Interesting.  Is this just happening in the Pro/PROGRAM editor or are you seeing this in the "normal" relations editor too?  Has support given you a SPR number or said when they think it will be fixed?

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

Only Pro/Program editor.

No completion date or if they even intend on fixing it yet.

case 13901571

Sounds like they altered how data about the program is stored and failed to change the editor to match. It's also possible they replaced the old program editor with a new one without paying attention to special functions the old one had. It's *like* they dropped to a 6-bit editor, which is why there's no lower case, though I have no idea why anyone would do that. Shades of dial-up 300 Baud modems.

Can you use an external editor? The Program editor makes a back-up copy so that it can restore the previous working version. You might be able to rework that and then force the editted version to have an error and do a restore of the editted back-up. Obviously, it's working with less safety net and you can make a back-up of the back-up to help.

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite
(To:dschenken)

I can change from the note pad default editor to a custom one like notepad++, but it still does the reformatting. 

SYNDAKIT
14-Alexandrite

Hi Tom,

Just wanted to let you know that the problem has been mostly solved.

as of Creo 5.0 you can now evaluate multi-line equations and logic statements. 

I would have preferred that it just didn't truncate at all but this is an acceptable solution. 

Thanks for all the support. 

-Joe 

Top Tags