cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Creo 3.0 - Complaints of slowness

msteffke
12-Amethyst

Creo 3.0 - Complaints of slowness

I am the admin and recently released Creo 3.0,  changing (avoiding the word upgrade) WF5 Creo elementts Pro.   We are using Windchill Intralink 10.2.  Users are not happy with the longer regen times, and longer retrieval times.   Some have taken the online upgrade training, it doesnt seem to be a matter of how to use it or where to find the button, it's a more click-wait thing.     The complaints remain consistent across users with newer or older harder. 

Where do I even start in addressing the concerns, other than benchmarking vs WF5?   But in the end that just proves the issue is real, doesn't really fix anything.  

7 REPLIES 7

You may try test this with/without Windchill to find if it is with Windchill or Creo only. Also, try contacting PTC Support for further assistance. 

How was the performance in your test environment?

msteffke
12-Amethyst
(To:HamsterNL)

Performance was like this when we tested too.   A bit slower.  Not enough to make you not switch when you're paying big K's for maintenance.   And to the previous response, yes windchill is even a worse drag on it.  Windchill is fine for having a couple hundred parts in a workspace.   We have thousands.  When you model automated designs for configure to order industrial equipment, every configured unit pulls more and more parts into the workspace.   I mention this because the argument is always how we are using the software.  But we have been using it like this since release 20 and performance was never an issue back then.  Every release since has delivered longer retrieval and regen times. 

One thing that really slows things down is having a lot of data in the Windchill view, particularly any status information about the modification/out-of-date status. As far as I can tell the Windchill communication generates very high traffic in terms of messages, even if those messages are really small so the network volume looks small.

I found that changing the data view to be just the component names made a huge difference in responsiveness.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:msteffke)

Well at Pro/E release 20, you were not using Windchill!

Minimizing the display of Windchill data is a start.

If you are coming from Wildfire 5 to creo3, that is 3 revisions to the code and the file schema. The retrieval will perform a conversion to Creo3 schema behind the scene.

Try taking a WF5 assembly into Creo3 and time it. Then save the file so all components and sub-assemblies/assemblies are saved in Creo3 format. Now retrieve your assembly and time it again. You can also try this with a backup copy to disk to get an indication of the Windchill overhead.

msteffke
12-Amethyst
(To:BenLoosli)

This yielded pretty good results.  An assembly saved in Creo3 took significantly less time to retrieve than the same assembly saved off in CreoElements Pro.  Most things in Windchill are still saved at WF5 levels, so hopefully  the improvement will come as models are modified and checked in.   Smiley Happy

cadcam
12-Amethyst
(To:msteffke)

Did you upgrade the windows and/or the security checker, e.g. McAfee etc? We have had a lot of trouble with slow response on large assemblies due to  McAfee resetting itself to check every file when loaded even when known to come from a secure sources.

Regards

Top Tags