cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Defining Materials for Wires in Creo Schematics

ptc-6765149
1-Newbie

Defining Materials for Wires in Creo Schematics

Hi,

I have a problem of finding a solution to easily define materials for wires in Creo Schematics. I need to define all wires from a wiring harness to copper (or density of 8.96e-06) and have 3 ways of resolving it in mind:

1. Defining Material information in datatable for spools (What is the name of property for density?)

2. Editing information of spools after import of Schematics xml file in Creo 2.0 (I cant find a way of adding information here)

3. Defining densitiy information in Creo Cabling (Cant find a way to do this yet)

Which one is the best way to do this or do you have a better idea?

I really appreciate any help here

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Phillip...

You can define density information on the Creo side using the SPOOL definition file. There are tons of parameters you can set for spools - but finding them isn't intuitive. Go into your spool definition (edit your spool). When the Electrical Parameters window appears showing your spool, select View->Columns from the top top down-menu. A listing of available parameters will appear in the Model Tree Columns dialog box. You'll probably see DENSITY, MASS UNITS and UNITS in the listing. Add them to the right column (the "Displayed") column. Select OK to exit the Model Tree Columns dialog box. Now you'll see columns for density, mass units, and units in your spool window.

You'll probably see units like "INCH" or "MM" appear in the Units column. Likewise, you'll probably see "Pound" or "Kilogram" in the Mass Units column. To see what the possibilities are, select the current entry for Units or Mass Units and select from the Value drop-down box (right above the "Delete Parameter" button). Density can be manually entered into the Density column. Both Mass Units and Units matter.

Density for your spool should be given in Mass Units/Unit format.

For example - if your mass units are kilogram and your units (length units) are mm, your density must be given in kg/mm. Note that this is not standard. If you look up wire properties in a manufacturer's catalog, they don't usually provide mass in kg/mm or pound/in. It's usually in pounds per foot... or some other more meaningful unit. You have to manually figure out the density for your units.

There are some other options for setting this property. Hopefully that gives you one option. If you need to edit the XML file or pursue other options on the Schematics side, we can probably discuss those, too. It's just a longer discussion!

Thanks,

-Brian

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi Phillip...

You can define density information on the Creo side using the SPOOL definition file. There are tons of parameters you can set for spools - but finding them isn't intuitive. Go into your spool definition (edit your spool). When the Electrical Parameters window appears showing your spool, select View->Columns from the top top down-menu. A listing of available parameters will appear in the Model Tree Columns dialog box. You'll probably see DENSITY, MASS UNITS and UNITS in the listing. Add them to the right column (the "Displayed") column. Select OK to exit the Model Tree Columns dialog box. Now you'll see columns for density, mass units, and units in your spool window.

You'll probably see units like "INCH" or "MM" appear in the Units column. Likewise, you'll probably see "Pound" or "Kilogram" in the Mass Units column. To see what the possibilities are, select the current entry for Units or Mass Units and select from the Value drop-down box (right above the "Delete Parameter" button). Density can be manually entered into the Density column. Both Mass Units and Units matter.

Density for your spool should be given in Mass Units/Unit format.

For example - if your mass units are kilogram and your units (length units) are mm, your density must be given in kg/mm. Note that this is not standard. If you look up wire properties in a manufacturer's catalog, they don't usually provide mass in kg/mm or pound/in. It's usually in pounds per foot... or some other more meaningful unit. You have to manually figure out the density for your units.

There are some other options for setting this property. Hopefully that gives you one option. If you need to edit the XML file or pursue other options on the Schematics side, we can probably discuss those, too. It's just a longer discussion!

Thanks,

-Brian

Hello Brian,

Thank you very much for your precise explanation, I think this option will work fine

My pleasure - if you find yourself getting stuck, just write back!

Good luck,

-Brian

Hello,

I have a doubt about where I can measure the mass of the harness, because in the analysis part the density of the harness is not the one that I establish in the spool.

Thanks

Top Tags