cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Defining a pitch (conductor spacing) in Cabling for a ribbon spool

mmiccoli
1-Newbie

Defining a pitch (conductor spacing) in Cabling for a ribbon spool

The only thing I can find is 8 years old so I'm posting this question again hoping that it has been addressed since then.

What I'm trying to do is create a ribbon cable that has 16 conductors, 28AWG, with a 2.54mm pitch. This would be Belden 9L28016 008H100 ribbon cable.

Its supposed to be 0.80" wide but Creo Cabling doesn't have an obvious way to adjust spacing between conductors so my cable is coming out with a width of approx. 0.49". This will be connected in an assembly between a base and a moving door so I would like to have the features offered by creating the harness in Cabling. But I just can't seem to find a way to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

The pitch will be defined by the diameter of the individual conductors. You'd want each conductor to be 0.05 in diameter. Therefore, set the thickness of the conductors comprising the ribbon to 0.50 (16 x 0.50 = .80). If your current pitch is too tight, it's because you're using a conductor diameter that is too small. You must be using 0.030 instead of 0.050

You're probably working from a standard 28AWG wire definition. But, if the Belden wire is truly on a 2.54mm pitch, either there's some filler added between the conductors - or the conductors have a thicker jacket than a single conductor 28AWG wire. I'd suspect the conductors are thicker - therefore adjusting the thickness in the conductor spool would resolve your issue.

Thanks!
-Brian

Top Tags