cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Difference between Design and Packed Design (.rsd) file type

Supriya20
4-Participant

Difference between Design and Packed Design (.rsd) file type

Hello,

I have started using Creo Schematics 4.0 recently for Cabling, BOM generation(.csv), Harness chart generation(.csv), Exporting xml file for 3D harness routing.

For developing any new project I am importing the design properties as of now and not using the Central Catalog feature, as my library has not been standardized yet. 

While saving any new project the default file type is Design, which creates a new folder for every new project created in schematics. However I noticed that there is another file type Packed Design (.rsd), in which the same file can be saved. 

Please highlight the difference between these two file types and how can it affect my design and process for cabling, extracting BOM and xml file etc. as mentioned earlier?

2 REPLIES 2
BillF
13-Aquamarine
(To:Supriya20)

As far as I know, there is no difference other than in opening and saving the design. The RSD file is the collection of all the little files but packaged into one file 

When you have the design open, it unpacks the RSD file into the same bits as the individual files.  If you are using Windchill (we use it), it does it behind the scenes.  If you are opening an RSD file outside of windchill, it unpacks it and creates all the little files in your work directory but does not update them if you save it again as the RSD file.

If you save it as an RSD file and then open it again, the next save will be the unpacked files unless you use SAVE AS and fight with the directories.  The open file routine defaults to unpacked files (which remain from working on the design but are not up to date, so you have to remember to change it to packed files when you open it again.

Very awkward to use packed files unless you are using Windchill.  They are very useful for sending a design to another person or saving them in a non-working directory as a backup.

If you have Windchill enabled, it automatically saves files in your workspace as packed files but it leaves the initial collection of small files in the non-windchill work area as garbage.  

You have to specify to open the file from windchill to work on it but that because automatic.  The files in Windchill  (or ones that you manually save as packed) do not show up in the recent file list.  I have our script erase that list so no one opens the bad copy.

BillF
13-Aquamarine
(To:BillF)

"Very awkward to use packed files unless you are using Windchill. "

I need to clarify things a little.

With Version 4, it is much easier to create and read packed files than before (when not using Windchill).

The options to open packed files and to use that format from within Save a Copy do not exist in earlier versions.  

Save a Copy, itself, does not exist in earlier versions.

Schematics still does not have a setting to use RSD as the default for working with designs.

Top Tags