cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Drawing in Creo Schematics

SHAHUL44
2-Guest

Drawing in Creo Schematics

Can we able to defined the length of cable in creo schematic?
4 REPLIES 4
BillF
13-Aquamarine
(To:SHAHUL44)

Creo Schematics does not have any way to know how a cable will be routed in 3D.  It has no information on wire lengths. 

By "define the length", do you mean to force a cable to a specific length when routed, or to report the length of the cable after it is routed.

Forcing a specific length (like when you use a harness in multiple systems) is done by trial and error in Creo Parametric.  We add extra bends for short items or shift the routing points.  If a harness is long enough, we use a loop.  One of our people created an object that coils of wire can be linked to and has a variable diameter.  The diameter of the loop can be calculated from the amount of wire that is not accounted for by the normal routing of the wire.

For getting the length of wires in Schematics, you need to route the harness and save a report in Creo Parametric.  Then you import the saved report back into Schematics and place it on a page.

The link between Schematics and Parametric is one way.

Lars_F
12-Amethyst
(To:SHAHUL44)

As posted previously, you can not set the length on schematic. But you can "back annotate" the lengths form the 3d creo after routing all cables. There is even an open source Kicad script (https://github.com/lassefyr/kicadToCreo) that shows you the original Kicad schematic and the back annotated schematic with cable lengths. You will need to install Kicad to view these schematics. You will also need some scripting skills if you are going to use the Kicad to generate the logical netlists.

For larger projects it may be better to stick with Schematic or Schematic lite. For quick and dirty cabling the Kicad scripting is OK.

I am looking for method or program that the parameter in creo schematics get the length from creo cabling. please let me know If you know them. 

Lars_F
12-Amethyst
(To:ptc-3069051)

I thought that the length parameter can already be read by Creo Schematic? To "Back annotate" to Kicad I export the Creo Schematics file.... "Logical Data -> Export -> Creo Schematics". This operation creates a Creo Schematic .xml file that has the Length parameter in  <!--Wires and cables--> section. This section for one wire looks like shown below...  From this info I use the "lenght" and the "Harness Name" parameters. The "Harness Name" is the Product code in Windchill and it is nice to see in Schematic diagram also.

So my assumption is, of course, that Creo Schematic can read its own file and update the matching parameters...

--------- xml section ---------

<CONNECTION name="W1" context="NONE" spoolID="sp5" type="SINGLE">
<SYS_PARAMETER id="conn1" appID="94" />
<PARAMETER name="TYPE" value="WIRING_WIRE" />
<PARAMETER name="LAYER" value="DEF_LINES" />
<PARAMETER name="LENGTH" value="63.3796" />
<PARAMETER name="HARNESS_NAME" value="1410650" appName="ProCABLING" />
<NODE name="node1" type="COMPONENT">
<SYS_PARAMETER id="node1" />
<ATTACH_TO compORconnID="comp2" nodeORportID="comp2port6"/>
</NODE>
<NODE name="node2" type="COMPONENT">